Wednesday, April 29, 2009

We have arrived in Skagway, Alaska


Today we drove from Teslin, Yukon through Carcross, Yukon and into Skagway, Alaska. The scenery from Carcross to Skagway was spectacular! These pictures don't begin to capture the beauty. We had some of the best weather of our trip and it was about 37 degrees when I took the pictures of the snow covered mountains. With the sun shining and no wind it felt as if it were in the 50's or 60's.


Along the drive we passed signs warning of avalanche areas--do not stop. We gladly obliged. We also saw truck escape ramps and we were very happy not to need one. On our way down the mountain we saw two jeeps. Bill wondered if his brother Don was in one of them and after Don turned around and flagged us down we had a short visit and received good information about our permanent site in the RV park. A water pipe had to be repaired--thank you Don for doing all the digging--so we are in a temporary spot until tomorrow or the next day.



This is one of the few state or province signs I remembered to take a picture of; I guess I'll just have to remember where I've been.

This year commemorates the 50th anniversary of Alaska statehood. It was a big deal when it became a state because I was born in Alaska when it was a US Territory. Does that make me old? Nah...

We walked into town this afternoon and we were about a block from the RV park when I took this picture. We've been told that everyone is loving the weather this week because of the warm temperatures, blue skies and sunshine. We certainly liked it.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Caseygirl said...

How fun!

And who else can say they drove all the way to Alaska and just happened to run into family driving along the same road?

Crazy!

Margie said...

You have a brother in Alaska? I have TWO!

Do you know any way to print the blog without printing the whole thing every time? I would like to print it so Mom can keep up with you, but don't want to print 3 pages, then 5 pages, then 8 pages, then 10 pages . . .

Peggie said...

When I printed Casey's blog for my Mom to read, I selected the part I wanted, copied, and then pasted it into Publisher. It was then easy to make the pictures smaller. Word would work but I just liked Publisher better. I don't know if you could wait a day, go to the archive on the left and open it and print. You may still get all the heading, etc.

Anonymous said...

Loving the pictures.

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying the pictures.

Anonymous said...

I stutter.....