Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Just because

This entry is just because it has been awhile and I don't want to dissuade anyone from staying with us.
We are busy being retired. Today has been really busy. I got out of the house bright and early (around 11:00) and went to the library to drop off and pick up some books. (duh) Then headed to the barber college for a haircut, then on to the grocery store. All of us old people go on Wed. because they honor last weeks sales and begin this weeks sales, as well. I am also cooking a pot of (fresh from Willcox) pinto beans with the Christmas ham bone. On my way to pick up the mail, I had the obligatory chat about nothing-in-particular with the neighbors.
While I am doing all of this, Peggie is finishing up her part of Allison's quilt so she can send it off and get started on Janie's.
We had a very relaxing holiday period. Casey was here for a few days, but doesn't get a full break now that she is more employee than student. We got the tree down on New Year's Day, and the house is back to normal. We were able to skype with Greg and family in Japan a couple of times, but they are back in NY now. Just in time for the deep freeze.
I went to the doctor Monday for a physical that is required to keep my CDL for Alaska. Last year it was that physical that told me my blood pressure was too high. Now it is fine. I will have my regular physical later this month just to be sure everything else is fine, also. Sitting in the waiting room at the clinic was different than regular waiting rooms. A big part of their business is workmen's comp related. People really like to talk (complain) about how their companies are trying to cheat them. Most waiting rooms are quiet. In this one everyone talks in normal voices and don't worry who overhears.
Since Thanksgiving I have read Stephen King's Dark Tower series. It took him twenty some years to complete it. Reading it all at once, it was evident how much he has improved as a writer. The first one was noticeably inferior to the later additions.
Also, for those of you who grew up in the fifties, I recommend Bill Bryson's memoir "The life and times of the thunderbolt kid." I think that is the title. Do a search for Bill Bryson and you can find it. That's what I did.
It is time to go taste the beans and get something out of the dryer. Thank goodness for electronic beeps. Otherwise, I don't know how I could get everything done in one day. Busy, busy.

1 comment:

Margie said...

From all of us who are much younger, and therefore not retired, I want to thank you for the detailed account of your "busy" day. How did you ever find time to work at all?
Anyway, thanks for rubbing it in!