We went to Dyea last night. Two nice eagle sightings and an otter that wouldn't hold still for a photo.
I had two people to go horseback riding today. Then at the last minute picked up two more for Caribou Crossing, home of the free BBQ chicken lunch. Cool. Who says there is no such thing as a free lunch? Heavy fog going over the summit. Real pea soup. Clears out, but still low clouds at Canada Customs. One of the friendlies comes out and practically guarantees we will see a grizzly with cub in the area. Wrong. We didn't.
However one of the passengers later shouts, "Bear!" So I stop and back up until we can all see it. It's a first year cub, no mom in sight. He is in the shrubs down the hill and I can't get a picture. I really want to open the door for a better look, but I know that is not smart.
Rest of trip is routine, until, on the way back, along Tutshi Lake, "Bear!" "Grizzly!" Again I back up until she says stop, then I pull over to the wrong side of the road. Down the bank is the biggest black bear I have ever seen. Not a grizzly. An enormous cinnamon black bear. He has found a bank of grass and is chowing down. I ask her if she is available as a bear spotter on future trips.
1 comment:
You should have offered her half your tips as a bear spotter
Post a Comment