Thursday, October 7, 2010

Let me rephrase....

Did I say "no huge repair bill?"
I made a second trip to Les Shwab here in Sequim (pronounced Squim) because even after rotating the tires, I could still hear that 'thrump-thrump-thrump' and it bothered me because I don't like to ignore warning signs just because I think I know what they are. It is like getting the check engine light fixed even though I knew it was a false indication. Anyway, I was going to have them switch the spare and the thrumper. Soooo, when I looked again at the thrumper, I noticed a split at the tread edge. I looked at the other three tires and two of them also had tiny splits near the tread edge. But, these tires are warranted at home. Surely I can wait. So I asked them to switch the spare and the thrumper. Then I met Ron. When he handed me back my key after making the switch, he commented on the splits, suggesting that he wouldn't try to drive to Arizona on those tires. Yeah, but it's my money. And I can make it. Right?
Back to the hotel. Thinking. Thinking.
By bed time, having discussed it with Peggie, we decide to call the home town dealer, find out if the warranty is transferable, and if so, get new tires here. That's what I did this morning. The warranty can be honored here if I get info on the tread depth and splits and return to Tucson for a credit/refund.
The thing is, I thought I had five identical tires. But the spare is still the original equipment that I replaced two years ago because I had six flats in a year from cactus thorns. So I decided to get five new tires and have a spare equal to the tires on the ground. So let me rephrase: The thrumping tire problem has been fixed for only $1200. Plus another few hours of not-vacation-time. Including postponing the Victoria trip for a day, and returning to Les Shwab again on Saturday to get tire #5 mounted. (they only had 4 in stock, of course)
Oh, and it wasn't that easy. I keep a padlock on the spare so nobody will steal it. Fine, the key is in the glove box. Well, it was in the glove box before somebody broke into the jeep at Casey's apartment last year and stole the owner's manual....and, apparently, the key. So a quick (quick? this is me) trip to the locksmith. On TV any cop or PI can pick a lock in seconds. In real life, a professional takes five minutes, gives up, then goes and gets the cutter and cuts it off. So add a new $14 padlock and another detour on the way to solving a problem. The silver lining? I never needed that spare in a place where no cutter was available.
But now we had some time to spend here. We decided to follow a suggestion I got from a passenger earlier, and go up to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park. On the way up I redeemed part of my 62nd birthday gift from Casey, and purchased my Senior Pass. It will get me into National Parks free from now on. Thanks, Casey. And Hurricane Ridge is SPECTACULAR scenery. It is atop one of the higher peaks in the Olympic Mountains. You can see a lot of other mountains from up there. And we avoided hitting another road-crossing deer.
Tomorrow we will go to Victoria and see Butchart Garden.
Sorry, I just can't let it go.......now our Jeep is also retired.
I can already hear Margie groaning, and I haven't hit "publish" yet.

3 comments:

Margie said...

Did you hear me groan from there? That was at least a five "o" Booooo!
Dave is glad you found a silver lining, and Mom says to warn you not to go to Vesta's or Mexico before you go home. She'll tell you about it when you get here.
See you next week!

Margie said...

Dave said--We just about froze Margie up on Hurricane Ridge when we went to Washington (in 04 I think). I have also been to Buchart Gardens back in about 1987--beautiful!!
Let's see, an adventure is a catastrophe that didn't quite happen and a catastrophe is an adventure that got overzealous?

Caseygirl said...

And...you're welcome :) to think you scoffed at my practical gift. And I will have the $10 reimbursement so it really is a gift when I see you in a week or two