Friday, October 22, 2010

Reflections, rationalizations, or something.

The plan is that this will be the final 2010 posting concerning Alaska.
The prompting came from a strange sighting I just had. I was enjoying my second cup of coffee, which Peggie and I feel is one of the greatest benefits of retirement, sitting in a chair from which I could watch hummingbirds humming around the flowering ground covers in the front yard. When, what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a grey fox trotting along the sidewalk across the street. This is maybe the third or fourth fox I've seen in Arizona. In my whole life. I jumped up, grabbed my camera, and tried to get outside in time to get a picture, but it got away. But, of course, it brings to mind all the wildlife we see routinely in Alaska. So that makes me wax philosophical. What makes Alaska so special?
One of the most asked questions from tourists is "What do people do here?"
It is a good question. It comes from the fundamental difference between the people who choose to live in rural Alaska (and I include NW Canada, but exclude Anchorage) and people who not only live elsewhere, but who vacation on a cruise ship. And it goes back to a discussion I had with a couple of Yukoners one day about the kind of people who live there. It is a 'chicken and egg' question. Does the bush (a general term for the area under discussion) create "strong personalities" or are "strong personalities" attracted to the bush? In this case the term "strong personalities" means the independant, flexible, resourceful, adaptable, opinionated individuals who make up the population. In the past they might have been explorers, prospectors, mountain men, warriors, revolutionaries, itinerants, or anybody else on the fringe. They are often artists, writers, musicians and craftsmen. They embrace nature and live with it, rather than trying to tame or conquer it.
At any rate, they aren't interested in any of the following: shopping, clubbing, theater going, dressing up, social climbing, getting rich, retiring, keeping up with the Joneses, or going on cruises.
They read, watch television (maybe), cut wood, hunt, fish, drink, play cards, help each other out, attend school functions and town meetings, argue and feud with each other, fix things before they think about replacing them, and raise dogs. I'm pretty sure both law and custom require each person to have at least one dog. Everybody has more than one skill set. Carpenters are also truck drivers, or cooks, or teachers, or musicians, or all of the above. Many have to have one thing to do in the summer, and something else to do in the winter.
Peggie and I find them all to be wonderful, fascinating people. They are as much a draw for us as the scenery and wildlife.
All of you Alaskans and Yukoners who read this, please feel free to add your comments.

2 comments:

Margie said...

A grey fox in your neighborhood. Weird. Dave saw one on his way to work earlier this week too, which has never happened before. There is a little wash the road crosses there, but still . . .
"Independent, resourceful, opinionated" - gee, I wonder why you two feel so much at home in Alaska? :)

Margie said...

People who post blogs should be required to update their admiring public at least once every week!