Like, the title of this blog referred to our intent to spend a summer working in Skagway. This category of adventure means setting out to do something different or unusual to see what experiences you can have. It is intended to be fun.
On the way to Skagway, we had an "adventure" of the second kind. That is, descending the 13.5 miles of 9% grade, pulling a trailer, while the brakes on the truck make that baaaad sound all the way. So you could define this category as potentially death defying, but-turned-out-okay. And definitely not anticipated, and definitely not fun.
Then there is the adventure that happens unexpectedly while engaged in a routine activity. It isn't death defying, dangerous, or necessarily interesting or fun. It is just unexpected. Many of us have this kind of adventure at the auto repair shop. You need an oil change, and end up with new brakes. This is the kind I had today.
The check engine light began coming on again after we had a new gas tank installed due to a recall stemming from the regurgitation of fuel when the pump automatically shuts off. The code translated to "gascap." But tightening the gascap did not cause the light to go out. It turned out to be a faulty "rollover valve." You see, the Wrangler has a valve on the filler tube that will prevent the rapid emptying of the fuel tank in case of a rollover. Fire prevention, doncha know.
However, the filler tube is integrated into the tank itself. All one piece. So I needed a new tank. Again. So the adventure here is the extra three hours I got to spend in the waiting room watching Sandra Lee, Rachel Ray, Paula Dean, The Barefoot Contessa, and numerous others share recipes and cooking tips. I had a book, but I finished it in only three hours. I read the newspaper, did the Jumble, Cryptogram, and Crossword, and started on the Sudoku. Had a conversation with a former Southern Pacific engineer about trains because I was wearing a hat with a train on it. Shared accounts of weekend activities with a new-car salesman taking a smoke break.
So there went another day.
How did yours go?
3 comments:
It's a good thing Bill was available to go sit in the chair at the dealership (instead of the chair(s) at home.) I, on the other hand, did a few chores and then prepared my handouts and materials for a rust-dyeing demo I'm doing on Saturday and updated the calendar with all the deadlines my fiber art group needs to meet for our next exhibit at the JCC. I'm glad I didn't have to go sit in a chair at the dealership--not fun!
Tuesday the 17th is the day I met with Gary Wagner, President & CEO of Rainbow Acres, for lunch at Tavern Grille in Old Town Cottonwood and got the official offer to work as their communications/marketing/PR person - yet to be titled. Good salary and benefits, work I love and I am good at, and a place I will be proud to represent!
So I accepted, went to Westcott Funeral Home to tell Liz (we did the girly "jump up and down" dance)and went to Brandi's with her. While she had lunch I had peach pie. Then I stopped at DES to tell Dave it was a done deal and the great news about how our income would change come May 7 (Yay!). Then I stopped at a couple of banks to take care of some stuff and transfer money (because of our recent income issues). Then I stopped at Vada's to let her know why I will not be available to watch children so much after May 7 (she's happy for me anyway).
I came home and peeled and sliced potatoes and put them in for potatoes au gratin to have with the ham I had put in the crock pot that morning, and then Liz and Dustin and their girls came over for a yummy dinner with brownie ice cream sundaes for dessert.
My day was much better than yours, Bill. I am so enthused about this new adventure I am about to embark on!
Adventures of the fourth kind. Unexpected, like the third kind, but pleasant rather than unpleasant.
You will be Director of Public Relations. That title sounds like there is a staff to direct, rather than just you.
Post a Comment