Friday, April 26, 2013

Zero, Zip, Nada, Zilch

What wildlife did we see today, Alex?
Correct. Select again.
Yesterday was such a good wildlife day that we used them all up. From Prince George to Terrace on Hwy 16, aka Yellowhead Highway, no animals. Although the moose warning signs were numerous.
I did remember a particular spot on the river (I don't know which river) near Telkwa from 1995. The wide, placid water suddenly shoots through a narrow channel between rocks. In '95 we all got out of the cars and went down to look at it. Today, I just pulled over to say "I remember that spot." Today and yesterday a lot of the rivers are muddy brown. There has been some rain so snow is melting and creating muddy runoff. We drove in some light rain off and on today.
Weird thing: we got gas today three times. Paid 125.9/ltr; 121.9; and 129.9; all three came to $97 and some cents.
Found out that Kitwanga, at the junction of Yellowhead and Cassiar, is pronounced kit-wong-ga, not ki-twang-ga.
The lumber industry up here is coming back to life after several years of idleness. Sawmills and pulpmills are working all through the area. Trucks and trains loaded with cut lumber and uncut timber are on the move.
And, of course, highway construction is in season again. We have not had any flagman delays yet, but that is due to the relatively light traffic. Many of the two lane roads we have traveled in the last couple of days are being improved to four lanes.
Today, our first choice RV park was full, and the back up was down to two spots due to construction crews in the area. One big project here (Terrace) is the Northwest pipeline that will bring natural gas down from Yukon to Vancouver.
Tomorrow we will drive to Prince Rupert, named for a guy who never came to Canada.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Did you see all the billboard signs about missing girls? I recently saw a documentary about that stretch of highway, which has been named the Highway (or is it road) of Tears because of the number of girls who have gone missing.

I love that drive to Prince Rupert though...note all the signs along the river that refer to geologic terms. I've often wished I could stop and hike to see why there is a geodetic stream and others...my mind isn't working well enough this morning to remember any of those geology words.

Enjoy!

Margie said...

Sounds like you are having a fun and eventful trip. We love reading about it, even though we don't post comments as often as we probably should. I thought it was interesting that you recognized a "badger crossing" sign if it only showed the silhouette of one. Not sure I would know what it signified!
What are temps like? Pretty cold?
I saw Greg and Amy today at the Birding Festival and they said they had been reading your blog too, and enjoying it. He drove our van to lead me in a Rainbow Acres bus to pick up canoe riders, because he knew the way and we needed more seats. Had yummy wood fired pizza made with homemade cheese at a place on the river. The Cadillac Canoe trip is one of the first to sell out, partly because word has gotten out about this pizza served at the end of it! They had five new lambs, one of which was white with black spots kind of like a Holstein cow! Never saw that before, and the owner said he never had either.
Keep enjoying and keep writing about it!