Friday, September 27, 2013

Fog Blodder, and other random thoughts.

Driving leaves lots of time for random thoughts
You know the whole "glass half empty/half full" debate? It is supposed to indicate pessimism or optimism. Malarkey. I have always contended that it depends on whether you are filling it or emptying it. Either way, you are half way to completing the task. A random glass on a table with water at the half way mark is half of a glass of water. No gloom and doom, no rainbows and sunshine involved.
But, that came up today in Montana. Twice, people remarked to us that it "is getting too cool." Once, we were sitting at a sidewalk table having a snack and drinks, and once we were at a scenic overlook. Both times we chuckled and replied that for us "it is getting warmer" since we are returning from Alaska.
So, just like the glass, it depends on which way you are going. We are anticipating reaching the point when we can stop wearing three shirts and the occasional jacket, and the Montanans are just starting to wear more.
We actually counted the wood bison. Eighty four of them were in one bunch on both sides of the road. We had to drive veeerry slowly between the two for fear they would behave like cattle and cross in front of us. The other thirteen were all bulls alone or in pairs scattered along 20 or so miles of road. The bison hang out in the right of way where the trees have been cleared so the grass grows well. Lots of warning signs.
Today we had two negative experiences. Breakfast was the worst we can remember having. Both the food and the service. Then we were informed that the "Going to the sun" road was closed for the winter already. So no Glacier National Park. Some (pessimists) would see the half empty glass. But after some driving on US 89 to the interstate, then some interstate (until one of the above referenced Montanans pointed out a two lane alternate) for a while, we altered our plans and took red roads the rest of the day. So now we are looking for more red roads. Today, for instance, we saw more deer than we could count. Literally. The best I could estimate would be 150, give or take 25.  Both mule and white-tails. They were belly deep in some fields. They were not all together. But often there was no shoulder, so we couldn't stop to count. We also saw a flock of large white water birds we have yet to identify. They were lying down, so we couldn't see legs, but the beaks looked like pelicans or cranes. We also saw antelope a few times. Also hard to count at highway speed.
And fishermen! The alternate we took followed the Missouri for miles. Fishermen in boats, fishermen in waders, fishermen on the banks. Sometimes with deer on the opposite bank.
And scenery!!! The Rockies always in view, sometimes distant, sometimes near, sometimes all around us. Snow covered down to 4000'. I know because we went higher than that at one point and the snow was 4-5 inches deep. Beside the road, not on it. We enjoyed the small towns (above referenced sidewalk snack) and farms and ranches and mountains and trees and rivers and wildlife and the Big Sky.
I forgot the bear! Last night I went to use the park restroom. It was dark out. On the way back to the trailer I stopped to chat with our neighbors who had a fire going. They are also returning from Alaska, but I digress. While chatting with them, at their site, next to ours on one side and the aforementioned restroom on the other, an excited Chinese man hurried from the bushes near the restroom shouting, "Bear, bear." We all replied, "Where?" "There, I have picture." And he pointed at the bushes next to the restroom I had just vacated minutes before. I ran to the truck to get my spotlight. When I returned, the man was showing his picture of the bear running away from the restroom building. I used my spot, but apparently the bear had left the area. Thank you very much. Now I wonder, "What if I had walked left around the building, instead of right?" Answer: bear. In my path. In the dark. Ahhhhh!!! I much prefer my bears to be outside my nice safe bus, than outside my dark restroom. With me on foot.
As we were driving along the Missouri, I realized that Lewis and Clark traveled that exact stretch of river only 209 years ago. We practically waved at each other.

2 comments:

Bill said...

It is nice to have internet. The birds are white pelicans. They breed in Montana, then migrate south.

Margie said...

Very cool. Take it both ways.