I was in Whitehorse on July 10th getting my bus repaired, so I missed out on the mid-season celebration. For those of you who don't remember, I adopted the idea that on the half-way mark of the season, to relieve stress, it would be okay to run over tourists, answer stupid questions with stupid replies, and generally be irresponsible. (Of course, this is all Walter Mitty)
We had a major mudslide on the 4th.The highway was closed for 36 hours, canceling all tours. They have been working to clear it while leading traffic through with a pilot car. They have been working 16 hour days and closing the road at night. Luckily, the slide happened at a big pullout, so there was a detour available, and there is a gravel pit only 2 miles away, where they can put the dirt.
This summer has been wetter, but not cold. My Sunday hiking has been limited due to the rain. I just don't enjoy getting soaked. We attempted Boundary Creek last week, but the water was too deep to cross.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Rainy days in Sitka too...here it is, July 13, and I am still wearing fleece shirts and socks! Where is summer? I am heading to Minnesota on Saturday, hopefully the sun will be shining down there.
It was so good to see you both!
jane
Today was Bill's first whole day off since I arrived (he did have part of the 4th off) so today we drove up the road so I could see the mudslide. I'll post some pictures sometime tomorrow. Wow, a LOT of dirt came down.
Post a Comment