That is the question.
Do you wait until an "adventure" happens? Or just report the humdrum?
Thanksgiving happened.
I like Thanksgiving. More food than anyone really 'needs' to eat. And good food.
I am a traditionalist. I like the foods I grew up with. Our family has kept with the basics: turkey, ham, yams, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, fruit salad, and, most important, pies. Lots of pies. Pumpkin, cherry, apple, and pecan.
The fruit salad is my mother's recipe (some variations are called "ambrosia") of apples, pineapple, banana, walnuts, and mini-marshmallows in whipped cream. Not Cool Whip! Cream, whipped with an electric mixer. We have adapted over the years, we have both canned yams in brown sugar and marshmallows and fresh baked yams. We have cooked-in-the-cavity stuffing and "dry" baked dressing. We have the cream of mushroom, canned onion green bean casserole, and fresh green beans. We have cranberry jelly from the can and fresh cranberries. We now serve some fruit salad without the whipped cream. We have white and wheat rolls.
Best of all, no matter how many family members and friends show up, leftovers. Plenty of leftovers.
Still, part of the current tradition means that on Black Friday, all the women go shopping in Jerome while the men babysit. And Bill cooks chili for dinner. We get honest-to-goodness tortillas from a local market. I don't actually follow a recipe, so the chili isn't consistent from year to year. Sometimes spicy, sometimes not. Sometimes red, sometimes green. Usually I make cornbread, this year I got tamales from the tortilla store.
However, change is coming. My niece, the pie baker, is moving to Iowa. Iowa! We still don't know what will be done for pies next year. And hers are the young kids that need a sitter. The older kids are fine alone.
I hope I don't have to spend Black Friday shopping next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
No worries, Bill. You won't have to spend Black Friday shopping...at least, not in Jerome or with the women.
Ditto to Peggie's comment.
Maybe you and Don and Dave will even get to go on a Jeep ride or something. Or just stay at the house to make the chili and eat leftovers - not a bad way to spend the day!
Post a Comment