The bears are hiding out. It isn't just me, all the tours are seeing fewer bears. Everything has leafed out so they are harder to see, and the dandelions they were eating on the roadside have gone to seed and blown away. So now that I've had my third no-bear day, it isn't worth worrying about anymore.
The lupine has replaced the dandelions, there are buttercups, wild roses, and fireweed blooming, along with flowers I don't know. In town, the cottonwood (not the same variety as in Verde Valley) seeds are blowing around like a snow flurry and gathering in little drifts and piles.
The snow on the mountains is mainly in shaded places like north slopes. The solstice is upon us, so the sun will begin seeking out those nooks and crannies. We are having more cloudy days with highs in the low sixties and occasional light rain, mostly at night. This is the weather we expected and want.
Peggie's lettuce patch is providing us with needed greens, and the squash have started to grow.
TWTWS...we got a strange TV cable bill. First, it was addressed to Wm and Don Thomas. Inside were two identical bills, one for each of us. The first dollar amount ($40.00)is for something not quite clear, then 8-9 lines of zeroes and a total of $90 something. Well, I only taught fifth grade math, but that doesn't add up. There is a phone number to call in Haines, but our phones don't get to make that call. Whaddayagonnado?
But still TWTWS...I saw Stan Selmer on the street one day. He is the supervisor at AP&T who I spoke to in the waiting room at the clinic when I had to get my drug test. So I arranged for Don and I to tour the hydroelectric plant in the canyon outside town. It has to be next week because this week he has to attend two funerals that are scheduled for the same time at two different churches.
Peggie and I both have the day off today. So we get to have fun, right after we wash dishes, vacuum, straighten, do laundry, write in the blog, figure out when Becky's birthday is and the myriad other chores that don't get done on work days.
And I have to be Don's second set of hands to replace the microwave he took out and fixed. Good thing he has the right tools. Margie, don't buy Don the five sided wrench, Karin already did! In a variety of sizes, of course.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Okay, I don't understand what Bill's problem is. Becky's birthday is on June 27th. Everyone knows that. Come on!!!!
I am glad you can have a day off and truly relax and laze around. Well, how long can it take to clean a space less than 35 feet long? And Don will likely have the microwave thing so organized it will only take one minute (on high) - I am pleased to hear that Don is fully stocked on tools again.
Do you have a movie theater there? Dave and I went to see "The Proposal" last night, and there are some beautiful scenes around and in Sitka - I know it isn't the same as Skagway, but pretty close! It is a funny and touching romantic comedy - you know what the final outcome will have to be, but it has some clever turns and good acting from Sandra Bullock and Betty White (she is hilarious!).
Speaking of birthdays (endlessly it seems), don't forget your Arizona siblings - they are both coming up very soon! If you put Dick's birthdate and my birthdate together, they make Don's birthdate! Mom tried to teach me Don's date by using that method when I was about 8, and I couldn't figure out why his birthday wasn't on July 9!
That last was just to show that your brain is not rusting or warping from the rain and cold, as Dave suggested. All of us just have warped thinking! Keep up the fun posts!
Getting the chores done, including sleeping in, takes up half the day. The putting-off of doing them is about half of that. You remember what a chore laundry is when you have to go to a laundromat. But by two we were out and about enjoying the environment. Unfortunately, so were a lot of other people. There just aren't many places to go and other people were out there, too. One of the places we cannot go is to the movie theater, unless we drive 110 miles.
Don's birthday is one month after Becky's, so it is the 27th. If I take it apart (working backwards from your example) I get Dick on the 2nd and Margie on the 7th. I know it is not the other way around, because Dick is 2 years younger, and Margie is 7 years younger. See, I can land on my head and still remember stuff.
Post a Comment