Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The calendar says it is winter, but...

We have this informal gathering for coffee on the first Friday of each month. It is attended by fellow retirees from Amphi. You show up at AJ's sometime between 8 and 9 and stay until some other errand calls you away. Since the first Friday was a holiday (yes, we observe holidays) we met on the 8th. There were only three of us this time, we are all busy after all, and we had a pleasant visit in the morning sun on the patio. We were vaguely aware (gloating) that much of the nation was huddled under snowy, windy, sub-freezing conditions, but didn't let it stop us.
One day last week, I think it was Thursday, I went jeeping. It is some hunting season, I think doves, so the roads are spotted with vehicles left by these intrepid sportsmen as they tromp through the brush hoping to scare up some game. I never did hear any shots, so maybe they weren't doing too well.
The only animals I saw were rabbits, but I did get to cross a stream, actually drove in water for half a mile, so it was a satisfactory outing for me. I was happy to find a drivable way around a barrier and onto a trail I had previously been unable to access. I have to say the desert looks drought-stricken, which may also account for the lack of doves. The water I drove in has been there in an otherwise dry wash every time I have been there, in every season. The biggest surprise is that nobody has tapped or trapped it for use.
On this outing I twice had to turn around at obstacles I might have been able to overcome if Don had been there to direct me through. Sometimes you just can't see from the driver's seat well enough.
I subbed Monday and Tuesday. I still really enjoy the students, especially since I don't have any of the related duties and responsibilities of teaching. Monday I was in fifth grade social studies and every class had lively discussions about the Olympics. It was fun. Tuesday I was in Middle School in a class of students labeled as "underachievers." What they actually are, are students with room temperature IQ's for whom school holds no interest other than as a place to socialize. There is no love of learning, no curiosity, no desire. Most of them are perfectly nice, though some are trouble makers, and days in that class are fine, but not as much fun as more animated groups.
I managed to get in a little bit (stress little bit) of yard cleanup. Today the plan is to attack the inside of the house. There is a vacuum cleaner somewhere around here and I intend to activate it.
Peggie has finished one of the round robin quilts and is working on the second. For a few weeks she is partially limited by some treatment she is getting for pain in her left foot. That should be over soon.
We also had dinner with our former neighbors and some other retired teachers. One couple has been to China and Spain teaching English. That sounds like a good future adventure. We will look into the possibilities when we are finished with Alaska.
I just can't believe some people are afraid they will be bored in retirement.

3 comments:

Peggie said...

Poor Bill is having to do "EVERYTHING". If we weren't having company this weekend I believe "EVERYTHING" would NOT have included vacuuming. Actually, I've been getting around okay, probably too much. And fixing some "outstanding" meals (Bill said to include that statement). He is right and we are both losing weight--no excuses! Life is good and we are grateful.

Greg said...

Maybe there are English-teaching opportunities in Japan as well. Wouldn't that be a hoot if we traveled to Japan to pay you a visit? You may have a harder time getting around there than in Spain, but no worse than China.

Margie said...

Your busy days sound perfect! I have never understood people who say they have nothing to do, as a child or as a retiree. My theory is that it has to do with liking your own company and having a spark of imagination and curiosity.

By the way, I am about halfway through "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" and agree that it is worth reading for any baby-boomer who remembers the 1950's. Interesting facts and fond remembrances, and even though they are definitely written from a boy's point of view, and his Midwest small city upbringing was different in basic ways from our Western rural childhood, it is fun to read. Thanks for the tip!