Saturday, May 22, 2010

In the name of science....

...I will make the sacrifice.
Caribou Crossing, the destination on our 6.5 hour Deluxe Yukon Sightseeing Tour, includes fresh homemade donuts in their lunch. These are the old-fashioned cake type dunk in your coffee kind of donuts. They are about the diameter of a tennis ball and come both plain and cinnamon sugared. If your mouth isn't watering, you won't understand my sacrifice. The first time I went there this year, I had to have just one... or two. Dave, the boss, doesn't get to go there often, so he has asked us (the drivers) to bring him back donuts three times already. I tease him about this because last summer he managed to lose 22 pounds, which he put back on--plus--over the winter. Now most of you know that Peggie and I have been losing weight primarily by not eating carbohydrates. Donuts are full of carbohydrates. Especially the cinnamon sugar variety.
Background: many years ago I found out I have allergy to bermuda grass so I took out my lawn and sold the lawn mower. While in Alaska I can stop taking my Claritin because my allergies are all associated with plants around Tucson.
However, the other day after eating one...or two donuts I became stopped up. I was surprised at the time, but it only occurred to me later, while giving Dave a hard time, that maybe, in addition to the fat producing aspects of wheat, I am allergic. Wheat is a form of grass, after all. Dave suggested that I should conduct an experiment to find out. So I have decided, in the interest of medical science, that I will eat an occasional donut...or two, and observe for allergy symptoms.
If eating an occasional donut...or two causes symptoms I can always take my Claritin again. I will probably have definitive results by the time the season is over. It is a dirty job, but don't worry about me, I don't mind.

5 comments:

Peggie said...

I do believe the occasional donut...or two WILL cause symptoms. However, the symptoms will not be relieved by Claritin if they are more aligned with his boss, Dave's symptoms...say a few pounds here and there. On the other hand, since guys tend to lose weight faster than girls, Bill is creeping perilously close to me (in weight, that is...to clarify the perilous part) so I think I'll support his experiments for a while. Tune in later to hear about the mojito experiment that includes Heidi, Shane, Dennis and a few others. We live across the street from the venue so we will not be drinking and driving. No sugar involved...

Caseygirl said...

I am with mom on this one - Claritin will not have any effect on your "symptoms." Although I hear a few laps around the buildings at Caribou Crossing both prior to and after eating said donuts does something to open up the airways - you should try that if you notice "symptoms" :)

Margie said...

Bill, I am SO proud of you for making this obvious sacrifice in the name of science! As the experiment continues, keep us posted on the results of the lab tests, and keep lots of notes on statistics and side effects!
And Peggie, please include for your clueless sister-in-law - what is a mojito? Or should I look it up online to keep from appearing like a complete idiot? Oh, well, it's all in the family, right? And you know that alcoholic beverages are not an area of expertise for me. At least, from what your last sentence says, it sounds like it must contain alcohol.

Caseygirl said...

Haha, Margie, you got it! A Mojito is an iced rum-based drink usually made with lime juice and fresh mint leaves. It can be really refreshing...or taste kind of leafy, depending on your tastebuds.
I thought I would like mojitos but it turns out I only taste leaves.

Greg said...

No sugar involved? I don't know what kind of Mojito you are having, but at least check where your rum comes from. Maybe Casey doesn't like them because she had the sugarless variety too. Not all Mojitos are the same; I have had the refreshing kind and the leafy kind, so perhaps an experiment is in order to find out the difference. I know I have been less pleased by the ones I've been told are "authentic Cuban Mojitos."