Friday, May 28, 2010

Ushu Dent Rent-a-Car

Often when I have only horsebackers on a run, I drive back to Carcross to give Ron a hard time at his store while they are on the trail. But the other day I decided to sit at the ranch and read and just enjoy the quiet of the northwoods. The ranch is called Emerald Lake Ranch on a large sign by the road. It is about one mile north of Emerald Lake, so from Skagway it is past the lake.
A car pulls in tentatively and a woman rolls down the window and asks how to get to Emerald Lake. I had seen her turn off the highway, so I knew she had come from Skagway. I said to go back the way she came about a mile. "Oh, so that was it back there?" Uh-huh. The emerald green water, the enormous parking area, and the banks of signs might have been a clue, just in case you couldn't read the map that comes with the car!
I haven't had a chance to read the latest paper to see if the lost and found section includes an Avis car and three tourists who didn't know the only road to take back to Skagway.

I love kids. The horsebackers included a six year-old girl. We got to see two bears off the road on the way up, but on the way back one came right up on the road and walked along the opposite shoulder for a while. The excited six year-old said, "I've never seen a bear so close in my whole life!" I just love that concept in young kids. Her dad had not seen any bears before in his considerably longer whole life. He was pretty excited, too.
And by the way, he (the dad) rode on Carolina, the horse that tossed me on my head last year, and she tossed him on his head, too. Using the same strategy, ie: start to run, then stop on a dime. So I don't feel so bad.

1 comment:

Margie said...

Yes, I always get a kick out of one of the under-nine-year-old grandchildren beginning a story with "I still remember . . ." It makes me want to go all wide-eyed and say "Really? Still? After all this time?"

Dave and Mom and I saw six adult, two youngsters, and two little teeny baby javelina in our back yard this morning. The babies were no more than eight inches tall and were all-over reddish brown. I've never seen such small collared peccaries in my WHOLE LIFE! And that is a considerable time! They were trying to get under Mama for a snack while she was drinking out of our little waterhole under the mesquite.

And Liz has our camera, so we couldn't even get a picture!