Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Where is Don when you need him

We not only have the check engine light on again, but we have a scraping brake pad. Where is Don with the right tool and the know-how? Oddly, the check engine doesn't bother me because I know it is a warranted item in the catalytic converter. I can get it fixed next time I go to Whitehorse. The scraping brake should be a simple (hah)adjustment, so Don needs to come over and tell me how to do it. And provide the right tool.
Today I was office manager. Dave had to run to Whitehorse, the nearest place where he can buy an office phone. He dropped the old one one time too many. TWTWS: He bought the last phone at the hardware store, which didn't work. He called the customer help line only to find out that phone had been "off the market" for over a year. Not in Skagway. In Skagway they threw a party at the hardware store because they finally got rid of that five-year-old phone.
So, anyway, as office manager I sold four tickets for Barry and Derrick to take people to the Yukon border. It was a bargain. They took a $70 tour for only $50. Then I came home. After lunch I went to Wings (the "airline")to see how we should address UPS packages since we don't have a street address. The answer is to use the Post Office address, but provide a phone number so they can call us to come pick up the package at Wings. They don't really take it to the Post Office.
Two newly minted Mormon missionaries had just arrived on Wings and were awaiting transport to "wherever they will be staying" by "whoever is picking them up." They are both from Utah (no, really. What are the odds?)and were assigned Skagway by a shrug of the shoulders. "Our president sent us here." I told them that with a whole summer ahead, they should be able to talk to everyone in town. They talked to me, so only 2239 to go!(I made that number up, but you wouldn't have known that, would you?)

Never mind, Don. As I am finishing this up I got a call from Wild Bill Simon, Skagway's sometimes mechanic, and he can look at it in the morning. It would take you longer than that to get here. But the flight would be fun.
By the way, Don, somewhere near Perth is a place called Horizontal Falls. It is a narrow place where 50 foot tides rush through like a horizontal waterfall.

2 comments:

Margie said...

Don has read this but he has been busy fixing his own Jeep and is still cogitating on his answer to this post.
Hope you were able to get it taken care of!

Bill said...

Cogitating? What is he, an old codger?
TWTWS---the pads will come from Seattle in ten days for $14 freight, or in 3 days for $70. The price is about 75% of the Whitehorse price, and Whitehorse doesn't seem to use a flatrate book, so they refuse to estimate the labor cost. Therefore, Wild Bill will do the job for me, and I will save about 25% or more over going to Whitehorse, not counting the cost of going to Whitehorse for a day. Meantime we are hardly driving it anyway.