Tuesday, July 13, 2010

You gotta love this place.

Peggie was outside watering the garden at nine thirty tonight. The wind has been sucking it dry for the last few days. She ate broccoli and salad from it for dinner. I ate Chinese food in Whitehorse. Also, I picked up the task chair that rolls, swivels, and is adjustable in three directions. After all, we will be here for three more months and a girl's gotta sew, right. Next task is to raise the bed.
I have seen three bears in the last two days and they have switched from plants to bugs. All three of them were rolling rocks and licking up bugs underneath. They sniff first so they don't waste any effort rolling the wrong rocks. I wonder what bugs smell like, but I won't be sniffing under any rocks to find out.
Yes, Casey, THAT road. The one we went on with Don last year, but it was foggy and raining and too slick to climb. We posted pictures and wrote about it just last year. Don't you remember?
Tourists are just too, too, ......something.
Heard on the Wind (you know the place in the local paper where we get to make fun of tourists) had a tale of a young woman on a tour bus, who, upon arriving at the first stop on the Canadian side remarked, "Here I thought Alaska was an island, and now I find out it is part of Canada."
Yes, ma'am, we are here to educate.
A young New York couple came in our office the other day inquiring about biking and/or hiking on the Dyea road. We informed them that it is a narrow mountain road which could present some dangers and that they needed to beware of bears. His response; "Yeah, but they're just black bears, right?" Right, just black bears that are responsible for 86% of all bear attacks on humans. And, nooooo, most of the bears around Dyea are grizzlies. Wrong on both counts, enjoy your hike.
September? We have to be Janeless until September? Come, on.

No comments: