Friday, September 24, 2010

Did Peggie say "winter?"

My tour today was supposed to go to the Yukon border, 52 miles north of Skagway. By the time we got to the Alaska border, 14 miles north of Skagway, this is what it looked like. The background of this sign is dark brown. The two intrepid photographers are my San Diego based passengers who were thrilled to see snow.


We pressed confidently on because I naively thought the snow would let up when we dropped in altitude. By the time we reached Fraser, six more miles, I remembered that up here it is latitude not altitude that matters. We turned back at that point, along with two other tour busses who got wise at the same time.

Do I look calm and confident? The passengers were so excited to see snow they didn't mind turning back early.
We were glad we had stopped at the Alaska sign on the way out, because by the time we got back to it the snow was several inches deeper, and it is uphill from the sign. By the time we got back to town it was clear that the word had spread, no tour busses were north bound.
I called to cancel tomorrow's oil change in Whitehorse and was told that was wise, since the road was closed anyway.
So we have until next Wednesday for the weather to improve. And I am off work until then.

2 comments:

Margie said...

Dave said: I had to go put on a coat after looking at those pictures!
I LOVE it here!!!

Greg said...

It has been relatively cool here in NY, but the last couple days were humid and today reached 85 (yesterday was 75, so it was a big change, even if it is still 15 degrees warmer for you AZ folks).
However, relatively cool is nothing like snow enough to close the roads. That is a little much for me in SeptemBER!