Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Are we there yet?

Just twenty more minutes.
That phrase is older than our marriage. It has become our standard joke answer since a trip we took during college and I underestimated the time for the trip by a considerable amount.
Anyway, we are all finished except for putting everything back. The work is done. The ceilings are textured plaster, not sprayed popcorn. The walls are freshly painted in southwest tones. The floors are in and looking beautiful. The venetian blinds are installed. (And they are PERFECT)
As I type this, the floor crew has dropped by to patch some chips made by the furniture movers, the murphy bed company is trying to schedule a crew to straighten out the poor job movers did on the re-install, the carpet cleaners are coming tomorrow to clean the stairs, and about half the boxes are empty and our shelves and cabinets are filling back up. Since we have a lot of very old wood furniture, we are re-oiling each piece, one at a time before we refill it. The famous dry heat is hard on wood.
Very soon, I will drive the first nail to rehang some art. Scary prospect. As you all know, getting it right the first time is not my forte.
So, in sewing terms, "it is all done but the hem"....and the buttons and button holes, and then it has to be washed and ironed before you can wear it.
It will be about twenty more minutes (days).

2 comments:

Bill said...

Peggie has a verry bad cold, so I stopped for some egg flower soup and picked up a fortune cookie. My fortune? "Avoid compulsively making things worse." Compulsively? Really? Well, I got all the nails in the right place the first time. So there!

Margie said...

Good for you!