Friday, June 24, 2011

New wildlife sighting

So, today I am taking a tour to Carcross, and a bus is stopped in the road ahead of me right after the customs at Fraser. Bear sighting. Cool. Actually two together, cooler still. Drive on. Around the next curve, two busses off the road, everybody out with binoculars. Something exciting, but at a safe distance. We stop. Moose swimming the lake! Are you kidding!? None of us (drivers) has ever seen that before. Super cool. I get one looooong distance picture before I start sharing my binoculars with passengers to ensure they are getting a good look. Time to go. The day goes on as normal, blah, blah.
I get back home and I'm sharing my photo with Peggie (who is doing laundry) at the gas station when in comes one of the other drivers who was there. She says it was a caribou. What?!
I check out the picture. (I will share it later, 'cause I can't do pictures from here....FRUSTRATING) It is a caribou.....SO WHAT? I've never seen a caribou swim the lake before either. So I am still stoked about it. According to the internet, caribou don't like to swim. Moose do. It was an honest mistake. Besides we (drivers) have never seen moose or caribou anywhere near there before.
THIS is why I still love doing this job.

Just a quick observation. Sunrise is about 3:30 am. Sunset is about 10:30 pm. Dark? Who knows? I am not awake for it.

1 comment:

Jane said...

A caribou!!! WOW!!! That's a great sighting. And I did see "dark" the other night...what a surprise...I stumbled through the house and remarked to Don about how dark it was. We had been at the hospital with a friend of ours who had had a massive stroke...and we waited with him until he was medevacked to Seattle at 1AM. I haven't been up that late in a long time.