I know, you all forgot my birthday. Except Mom. She sent me a nice card. I guess the rest of the gifts are "in the mail." Well, 63 is not a significant year. Our culture seems to honor only those years divisible by 5. Except 21.
I feel fortunate to have reached this particular day. On Friday the wheels came off my bus. Almost. Five of the eight lug bolts sheared off inside the wheel. I pulled off the road thinking it was a flat tire. The outside wheel and tire were leaning at a crazy angle. I quickly realized that it could not be made safe with the equipment at hand, so we started waving down cars and getting all the passengers back to town to catch their ships. We were most fortunate to have the ATA jeep tour arrive. They took half the load. The bus was towed to Whitehorse, where it awaits the end of a three day holiday before it can be repaired.
Sunday I went looking for grizzlies in Dyea. Found one. So I went down the road to the edge of the water to get a closer look. In an attempt to park on a high spot, I became high centered in the grass covered sand. The tide was coming in. (we could hear the cellos from "Jaws") I knew the water would not reach our high spot, but the way out would be under water for a few hours. We called for assistance from someone with a four wheel drive truck. He arrived, yanked us off the berm and we got out with dry wheels...just in time.
Excitement=the cure for the humdrums.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
About the second thing out of my mouth this morning was "Happy Birthday Bill!" Needless to say, Dave was quick to realize that I had not forgotten his name, but that today was your special day, and he echoed my sentiments. When Mom came out and sat down at the table, she said, "Today is Bill's birthday." And she read the list of famous birthdays in today's paper. Your name wasn't there! Huh! Frank and Kathie Lee Gifford share your day, and of course, Elvis died on this day in 1977. It also said that Aquarius and Capricorn natives adore you! Peggie is a Capricorn, yes? Hmmm.
Yes, sounds like you have battled the humdrums with excitement and close calls. Stop now.
And actually, there IS something in the mail to you - be interesting to see when you receive it, as it went out Saturday.
What is the 3 day weekend for? I didn't see a Canadian holiday on our calendar. Give us more information, oh wise one! Or wise guy, or something!
It wasn't on our calendar, either. Because it is a holiday only in Yukon. It is a Monday holiday called Discovery Days. Note the plural. It is truly a three day weekend. The Klondike gold rush was set off by a discovery on Rabbit (later renamed Bonanza) Creek on Aug. 16, 1896. See? My birthday, again. Peggie got me a really great piece of fool's gold (also known as iron pyrite)to commemorate the two occasions.
This is a little too exciting for someone of your advanced age!
I didn't realize your birthday was the day before my daughter's...and I was up at a cabin near the BWCA, so I didn't get a card in the mail. Do you still want one or will my singing of the famous HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU song be sufficient?
Many hugs...Jane
Um...did you not notice that I updated my blog on your birthday!? I didn't forget. Man, 63 makes you cranky
Post a Comment