Monday, April 2, 2012

Gimmee three trips...

Extra credit if you get the reference for the parody.

Gimmee three trips, gimmee three trips, mister, gimmee three trips to the store.

My manhood is intact.
The upstairs toilet was leaking. It needed a new float valve. So I headed to the local Ace. Picked up the new valve. Came back home. Disconnected the old valve. Oops. The flex line over-flexed and broke. This required replacing the shut off valve, because the flex hose is integrated. So I headed to the local Ace. There are MANY different kinds of shut off valves and flex hoses to choose from. I selected one. Oops. Wrong one. So I headed to the local Ace. Exchanged wrong one for correct (?) one. Stephanie, at the register, (we are on a first name basis now) said if I needed to return, to give her a call and she would just set up a cot for me in the back room.
The second job, replacing the shut-off valve and flex hose, required turning off the main water line. No problem. It also resulted in a cut on my finger. So I jumped up, went to the handy bathroom sink to wash away the blood.... Oh, well, there were Kleenix handy, too.
But the moral to the story is that I completed another successful home repair.
And a note just for my children: When removing the original shut-off valve didn't work as expected, I went on-line to get the info needed to get the job done.
MMMM Give me meat! Me man! Albeit, a modern man!

3 comments:

Jane said...

I always take the broken part/piece/element with me to the hardware store and say, "I need one just like this one." That way I don't make as many repeat trips. I have also been known to take home 2-3 different versions and I tell them, "I'll bring back the one that isn't right."

Way to go, Mr. Fixit!!!

Caseygirl said...

I am so proud that it only took you10 years to understand how to use Google :)

Greg said...

And I got the Lynyrd Skynyrd reference right away. The song popped into my head as soon as I read the title and before I read the challenge for extra credit. I'm glad I didn't make a connection unnecessarily - it's not the kind of thing you can take back.