Thursday, April 19, 2012

Miss Adventure, 2012

The year is in its infancy, so we can't actually award the crown yet, but I have to nominate Peggie for Miss Adventure 2012.
Most evenings we go for a walk into a mostly undeveloped desert area near our house. We always see cottontails, quail, doves, and dogs. Sometimes we see something more rare, like tonight. There was a stick in the road. As we got closer, it turned into a snake. When Peggie was one step away it turned into a rattlesnake. I couldn't get a coherent warning out, just "Watch out." or some such. Peggie had time to do a dance step, but not before one foot came within a shoe length of the head. The snake, a western diamondback did not move. So we picked it up to see if it was alive. NO NO NO!!!
I used my walking stick to nudge it. It was only a little over a foot long and as big as a finger. Only a button for a rattle. It moved its head a couple of inches and extended its forked tongue a few times. We gave it a more reasonable berth and continued. Maybe it will be there again tomorrow. We will watch more closely for sticks from now on.

3 comments:

Margie said...

I am disappointed that you didn't go back home and get a shovel and KILL that snake so it doesn't become a big rattlesnake with a two inch rattle!
Or throw rocks on it as hard as you could until it was DEAD!
I don't like the idea of any rattlesnakes being left alive instead of DYING at an early age.

BTW, you were right. Director of Communications and Community Relations. Woo Hoo!!

Bill said...

When I was younger, killing rattlesnakes seemed like a good and necessary thing. Since then I have read statistics indicating that nearly all rattlesnake bites occur during some purposeful interaction, such as stoning or shoveling. I am not against killing a snake that may present a threat, such as hanging out in my yard or campsite. But when I am passing through its territory and can safely avoid contact, I adopt a live and let live attitude. They do, after all, eat rodents. Maybe when you have reached my great age and maturity you will be more forgiving of our reptilian residents.
I have yet to be as generous with black widow spiders, in spite of the bugs they might consume.

becky said...

I just have to comment. I agree with Margie. There are plenty of nice, harmless snakes that can take care of the rodents. Rattlesnakes are too scary. So are black widows and let 's add scorpions to the list. When I kill one, I always twist my shoe a little harder on it for good measure. And, I always remember the time I was stung by one that was in my kitchen sink on Thanksgiving Day several years ago. . I like your blog Bill and Peggy. I'm glad that nasty rattlesnake didn't take a bite out of Peggy!