Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Gift

Peggie has been doing a lot of fabric dying. Our patio looks like a redneck laundromat. We have a galvanized wash tub on a loose cinderblock stand with a garden hose going to it. The used water drains through a hole in the bottom of the tub, down through the blocks and into the yard, where it makes.....mud. We have a clothesline strung on the patio. (For you youngsters, that is a small rope used in the olden days from which wet clothes were hung to dry in the sun. Think of it as a solar powered dryer with no moving parts.)
Peggie has been lusting after a "professional" setup with a multi-tub sink, plumbing, and drainage, under a shade cover. For her birthday last year, I said I would do the installation when she found the sink(s) she wanted.
She found one. On Craigslist. A three-tub stainless steel restaurant sink with drainboards on both ends. (For  you youngsters, a drainboard is a sloped surface near a sink where dishes are washed and rinsed and dried by hand.  !!!!!)
So, now that we have air conditioning that makes it comfortable to stay indoors, I am cleaning up this grungy sink salvaged from a boarded-up dive bar downtown. Did you ever try to scrub stainless steel in the full sun? Well, don't. Just stare right at the sun for five minutes if you want to go blind.
And, guess what? The plumbing set-up requires a trip to a restaurant supply store AND the home improvement super store.
Before the next post here, the betting windows will be open. How many trips to the store will I really need? Pick a number higher than one and less than a hundred, place your bets in the comments section. Winners will be announced when the job is complete. Good luck to all of us.

3 comments:

Greg said...

Are you combining trips? If you plan to go to both stores when leaving the house, does that count as one trip or two? Maybe this should be how many *extra* or unplanned trips. For the toilet, you planned on one and everything else was fun (for us, and the cashier). But this may be a bigger project and phased such that you know you need 2 or 3 different trips. Twice as many as planned is understandable. At three times as many as planned we'll start to get some really good stories.

I always like a good story, so I'll place my bet at 10 trips. I'll count those as 10 separate purchases or transactions on a register (in case a trip is made solely for a return).

Bill said...

Thank you for that vote of confidence. I planned one trip with stops at two stores. So that is one trip. One of the things I needed was not available, so they suggested a third store. That still counts as one trip because I was at the right place, but they didn't have what I needed. So, I am still at one trip, as planned. So far.

Margie said...

FIVE!
No, that's not enough.
EIGHT!
No, probably not for something this complex.
THIRTY-TWO!
Okay, that's almost insulting.
Oh, yeah, that's what sisters are supposed to do to big brothers, when they are too far away to be punched!
THIRTY-NINE!
Hee hee.