Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Tourist for a day

Casey and her BFF Michaela swung through Tucson and picked me up on the way to Bisbee for the day.
Michaela is a history buff and teacher who recently moved to Delaware (it's a small state on the central East coast) and was here for a visit. I went along because I like to go places and Bisbee is an interesting place and a good drive. We had to stop at Eegee's on the way out, because Casey and Michaela needed a fix, and  Eegee's is only in Tucson.
We went by way of Benson, St. David, and Tombstone. We were amazed to see half a dozen Highway Patrol cars northbound. Later we learned that, unfortunately, a border patrol agent had been killed just east of Bisbee that morning.
In Bisbee, we stopped to view the Lavender Pit. I had always assumed it was named for the color of the rock exposed around its terraced walls. Not so. It was named for Harrison Lavender, who was a mining engineer and superintendent at the mine for many years. Then we went to the visitor center and booked a ride on the Queen Mine tour. Doing that dropped my IQ by ten points. "Smart tourist" is an oxymoron, and "dumb tourist" is redundant. I seldom do "tourist" things in my home territory, maybe for that reason. Even so, I have always wanted to take the tour, because it is the only safe way to get into an underground mine, and with a guide, you get lots of interesting info. And we did. The guide was good at his job (I know, because I am a professional guide, myself) providing fascinating facts with just the right amount of good humor. We were outfitted in yellow slickers, hard hats, and flashlights and rode about a third of a mile into the tunnel on a tiny train. We made two stops inside where we learned some of the tools that had been used between 1880 and 1975, and viewed some of the ore body that is still in there. The guide seemed pretty confident that mining will someday resume in the mountain if copper prices remain relatively high. The ore body is high-grade enough to extract if they use the open pit method, but too costly for underground techniques.
Then we wandered downtown for a bit and discovered that half the shops close on Tue/Wed. That was fine with us, as we didn't need anything, anyway.
We came back by way of Sierra Vista just to see different country, and back in Tucson, took Michaela to Mosaic Dos because Delaware doesn't seem to have good Mexican food restaurants and she was in withdrawal. Michaela denies having a problem, but when you "need" Eegee's and chile rellenos, how else can you describe it?

3 comments:

Margie said...

Facebook has made me lazy. I just wanted to click "Like" and let it go at that, but with Blogger you have to write something and then prove you're not a robot by trying to figure out their odd little number/letter combo and sometimes actually sign in to your Google account . . .
The trouble I go to for you!
Oh, by the way, this was an interesting and clever posting! I even learned something again, but that's what older brothers are for, right? Lavender - who knew?

Peggie said...

Hopefully I've removed the "Captcha" and you won't have to prove you're not a robot. I know you're not a robot. Those letters and numbers are horrible. Try it and see if it's easier. If we get inundated with spam we may have to go back to proving you're not a robot.

Michaela said...

You're so right, it is an addiction! I guess I am making progress, since admitting that you have a problem is the first step. Haha! Love me some Eegee's and Mexican Food!!