There is an ad for something on TV these days portraying children asking the the question that probably was first heard on the Mayflower, and has been voiced by every child (and many adults) on every trip since.
Being the gifted philosopher/linguist (English only) that I am, I can answer the question: No. Not only are we not "there yet," we will never be "there." Ever. You see, where ever we are, is "here." When the destination is reached, the leader of the expedition (driver, father, whoever) gleefully announces "We're here!"
"There" is someplace else. "Here" is where we are.
The paradox, of course, is that of perspective. I am here. But, you, are there. You think of yourself as here. And you think of me as there. We are both (all) correct.
And you thought time travel presented problems. (It does, or did, or will.)
On another topic, I have started to read J.K. Rowling's first adult targeted novel, "The Casual Vacancy." She says it was a story she felt the need to tell. That's how the wealthiest author in history explains why she is still motivated to "work." So far, this is a story that I might soon give up on, except that it is written by Rowling, so I will "muggle" through and try to finish it. Maybe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What can I say? Once again, you make me smile. THANK YOU.
jane
Post a Comment