Tuesday, Sept 11, 2012
Last evening, as I was preparing to grill meat for dinner, Peggie asked me to go to the truck and check the temperature. When I walked over there, I happened to look across the meadow to the east. The tree line of aspens there is about 3/4 of a mile away across the grass and slightly uphill. In the time we have been parked here, I have looked that way a lot. There was something different. I checked through binoculars and saw a bull elk with two cows and two calves. We had previously heard keening from that direction after dark, but had not seen elk until now. We have walked over there twice and driven once. The forest behind the aspens is impenetrable due to dead fall. But apparently the elk don't find it to be.
All evening until bedtime, we heard keening from at least four bulls off to the east and south both near and far. We also heard the coyotes again, and thought the wolves howled at least once.
It was a nice way to end our adventures in these mountains this summer.
There are now several posts with today's date. They were written while we were in the woods with no web access. So we are now caught up.
We are headed back to Tucson tomorrow. We intend to take the scenic route down US 191 to I-10.
We are leaving the trailer here in Eagar until we decide we need it again. We may get a chance to come up here when fall colors are blazing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks for catching us up on your adventures in the forest! Fun stuff, as usual.
I'm still counting on you for next Wednesday and Thursday, right?
I love reading about your adventures...such fun and great sightings. Pictures???
Post a Comment