Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thank you, Dad.


I like to drive on old, rough, dirt roads and trails that wander up and down and in and out and around and about.
For pleasure.
Not for work, or to get to and from work.
I call it jeeping. I do it for fun.
Don and I were doing some jeeping last week. We had gone many miles, up one side of a mountain and down the other side. We had seen no one. That is the kind of jeeping we like.
Then we came around a curve and saw a pickup stopped in the (very narrow) road. Three cowboys were standing by the front of the truck. Apparently, they were having a "palaver." That is what cowboys do at trucks, corrals, cafes, and feed stores. Palaver.
My father was an accomplished palaver-er. That's 'cause he was a cowboy.
Well, we had to stop while they moved the pickup to one side so we could drive past. We got a good look at the cowboys while they did this. We are not bad at palavering our own selves, so we pulled up beside the moved-over pickup and stopped between the cowboys. There was one on my (passenger) side looking down the slope. I asked what they were doing. "Looking at our cattle." Sure enough, in the wash at the bottom of the slope, at least a half mile away, were some cattle. Meanwhile, Don was shootin' the breeze (that's another form of palaver) with the men on his (driver's) side. So, after more palavering, we determined that the cowboys had come up the mountain to check on a fence mending crew.
How many cowboys does it take to check on the fence? Three. One to look over the crew and evaluate their competency, one to drive the pickup, and one to keep the others company and thus avoid the chores around the ranch.
During their reconnoiter, they had observed that several head of cattle had passed through the in-need-of-repair fence, and were grazing in the wrong place. Their palaver was directed at correcting the situation. The cattle were over half a mile away from the road, down a steep slope thickly covered in scruboak and manzanita. Not fit terrain for a man on foot. The cowboys had determined that the solution was to drive back to the ranch, saddle some horses and ride out to drive the cattle back through the hole in the fence before the  repair crew had reached that point. They pointed out where the ranch hq was located, "way over there in the valley below that jutting rock." Maybe fifteen miles by air. Maybe forty miles by old, rough, dirt road that wanders up and down and in and out and around and about.
As I said, fun. But not for work. Not followed by a ten mile ride in the saddle over brush covered hills to locate and drive cattle that might have moved to a new spot. Or might be scattered and skittish.
I mentioned that we got a good look at the cowboys. None of the three stood straight. All three were bent and stiff.
So, thank you, Dad, for getting out of ranching before we would have become cowboys, working in country that is much better suited for jeeping than for working in.

4 comments:

Becky Thomas Lull said...

My dad liked to palaver with your dad. It was this time of year, in the fall, 22 years ago right now, that they would go on what I call "day trips", aka jeeping. They would drive all around Arizona, leisurely checking things out, and talking all the way. They sure had their fun. Who would have known they would die 2-4 months later? From a very young age I remember that my dad would call your dad "Speed" because he wasn't in a hurry, and would take time to enjoy everything. It sounds like you do that with your brother too.

Jane said...

Once again, you impress me with your words! (I was going to say "wow and woo me", but I wasn't sure others would understand.) Have you ever considered writing a book?

Is palavering the same as b---sh-----g? That's what my dad was exceptionally good at!

Love and hugs from Sitka...jane

Margie said...

Comments to Bill, Becky and Jane:
I, too, am thankful that I was raised in small towns instead of on a ranch dealing with dogs, chickens and horses and all the resulting dirt. You do have a way with words, Bill.
And Becky, isn't it great to have those memories and the example of siblings who actually enjoyed each other's company? What a very special legacy for the next generation! I am seeing my daughters as the best of friends and it makes me so happy!
Jane, I would not ever think of Dad as a BS-er, because he didn't make stuff up or try to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. He was a real straight-shooter (another cowboy phrase). If he said something, it was either true or he thought it was true, and if he learned better later, he would let you know that he'd been in error and 'fess up.
Another important legacy - integrity.

Margie said...

I am also pleased that Dad wasn't in a hurry when he was in Arizona's beautiful forests and deserts. He could've invented the phrase, "Stop and smell the roses" on a Sunday picnic or drive. He taught us to appreciate geology, plant and animal life, and the history that we are in the midst of making, as well as what came before.
He wasn't religious in the traditional sense but he was one of the most spiritual people I've ever known, seeing the hand of God in all of nature.