Our truck needed new tires.
I asked the dealer to give me prices on appropriate tires for my vehicle and my usage.
They came up with three recommendations at three price points.
I went on-line to see what kind of reviews they each had. Finally, I made a choice, but Sears had the same tires listed at considerable savings. So I ordered them through Sears, to be delivered at the store for installation. Yesterday, I got the call that they were in and ready, so I took the truck and a book and went in.
Estimate: one hour.
One hour later I got "The Call." You know, the one where something has come up that will require more services and more money.
This time the problem was that the wrong tires were sent. I ordered E rated tires (10 ply sidewalls) because they resist puncture from cactus and stand up well under towing loads. They delivered 6 ply.
"No problem." The guy says, we can substitute these other tires: different brand, longer warranty, higher mileage rating, higher price.
Luckily, I'm a retired gentleman of leisure. So I say, "If you can get me those tires at the price I already paid, fine. Otherwise, let's reorder and I will come back." And I pointed out that if I was going to pay more money, I could just get the tires I wanted at the dealer. ( Another point I was considering was that Sears are located all over the U.S. and Canada making warranty adjustments easier.)
Nobody wants to lose a customer, so, deal. Better tires at the same price.
Then when I am settling up to leave, the guy informs me that there is a mail-in rebate from the manufacturer and I will get $80 back. SCORE! Their mistake gets me tires worth $130 more, at a savings of $80.
Good job Sears guy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Good for you!
Don and Karin and Dave and I went back to the flagstone quarry today, and had a picnic in the area we turned down that was wrong for the stone pit. It was a lovely day and a fun way to spend it! Tonight Dave and I are going to the Blazin' M (as Lori's guests again) for their special play called "A Woman's Hands" honoring pioneer women in this area for Women's History Month. Cool huh!
A good way to spend a day.
Did Karen pick up any rocks?
from Karin: nope I just watched and admired the blue sky.
from Karin: nope I just watched and admired the blue sky.
Post a Comment