Sunday, April 6, 2014

Something to Write (Home) About

Eating a late lunch in Willcox, I asked Peggie how the enchilada sauce was.
She answered, "It's ok, nothing to write home about."
I quipped, "Oh, too bad, I was looking for something to write home about."
Then, at the same time, (we have been married a looong time) we both came up with the following topic.
If you read Peggie's facebook you know about our trip to place the trailer in Eagar for her summer heat-avoidance get-aways this summer. I created check lists for all of the outside duties associated with moving and setting up the trailer, and she practiced them and did all the driving from Tucson. She intends to drive to Oregon in September, where I will meet her at the end of the season.
We had time to take the scenic route on the way home today, so we headed south on US 191. It is a beautiful drive, but slow, so we only go that way when we can leave early and arrive late.
So, the topic: we were driving along, looking for wildlife, comparing the condition of the post-Wallow Fire forest to the tour we took in 2011. I noticed light precipitation floating over the cab, not quite hitting the windshield. I thought, "Snow?" So I slowed to a stop (no traffic on the road) so I could look at it. Just as I did, Peggie said, "Elk!" And there she was. A lone cow elk at the edge of the road. She looked at us, trotted 100 feet and stopped to look back. Quite serendipidous for her to be there when I was stopping anyway.
It was snow. Very light. Very tiny flakes. We were looking at the elk, but the snow was falling so lightly that we could have counted the flakes as they hit the hood. And just in time, because within a quarter mile we were out of the snow shower.

No comments: