At the summit of White Pass, eight miles from US Customs as we headed into Alaska, there is an 11% grade that runs almost all the way into Skagway, roughly 11 miles. It was breathtaking.
Bill assured me that we still had seven wheels with good brakes and there were truck escape ramps (aka runaway truck ramps) if necessary so not to worry! I won’t say I was TOTALLY calm but it was one of the most gorgeous sites I’ve ever seen and I didn’t want to wreck it (no pun intended) with worry.
I started work the day after we arrived and my main co-worker is a retired PE teacher, Janie, from Pennsylvania. We hit it off immediately and have enjoyed many laughs as we learn our new jobs. The first few days were backbreaking hours of moving boxes of stock, rearranging storage, cleaning and setting up displays. Our backs and feet have rebelled a bit. She lives a few RV’s away from me so we’ve been walking to work together and hobbling home at the end of the day thinking about the ice cold beer awaiting us at “home”. As teachers it was margaritas; as day laborers it’s BEER!
All of my near and dear friends and family know that working on cars/trucks is not exactly Bill’s forte. When Janie and I were walking home on Saturday, I mentioned that I hoped Bill had figured out the problem with the wheel because I needed to do laundry the next day and needed the truck. Her response, “I thought you said your husband wasn’t very handy with stuff like that.”
Tune in tomorrow to find out what Bill has to say about that!
No comments:
Post a Comment