Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Happy Birthday, Greg

Does thirty really mean anything anymore? I think this may be the first time your chronological age equals your maturity. So have a happy birthday.
The weather here is finally what we expected. Clouds hanging around the mountains, occasional showers, 60 degrees, and some wind. We observe the weather, but we never complain about it, because it is not 100 degrees.
TWTWYT....YT is Yukon Territory:
There is one road out of Skagway. It goes 110 miles to Whitehorse and goes through Carcross, the only other settlement in between. The tour buses from the 14 or so companies pretty much make the same photo stops. So it is not really surprising that I run into Don sometimes. In Carcross there is a general store that advertises itself as "the oldest operating store in the Yukon." It is operated by Ron. Ron likes to talk and he is a wealth of information about the area. Don met Ron and told me I had to also. So I did. Now whenever I take a tour there, I talk to Ron. The other day I saw a map in the visitor center across the street from Ron that I wanted. It was available at the general store. So I got one. When Don saw it, he agreed that it showed the area better than others and decided to get one next time he went to Carcross. Well, he doesn't get out as much anymore, so yesterday I bought him the map. I told Ron's mom not to sell one to my brother because this was for him. Ron's mom does not know Don is my brother. So I told her I'd understand if she sold him one because I am so much younger and better looking she might not see the family resemblance. At the first photo stop south of Carcross, Don stops while I am there. "I understand you have a map for me." It turns out that he had gone to Whitehorse to get a jeep, stopped to buy the map, was buying it from Ron, who mentioned that I had been in, overheard by mom, who said, "Don't buy the map, I just sold one to your brother." Isn't life in the small town great? Don saved 2.99 and now Ron's mom knows we are related and will remember next time I go in.
Oh, by the way, it was my second no-bear day. But it was Janie's birthday and we went out for pizza. We got the 10% locals discount and the 20% birthday discount from our neighbor who was our server at the pizza place. Ain't small town life great?

3 comments:

Margie said...

The next time someone calls Cottonwood a small town I will relate some of your stories to convince them that it is no longer a small town.

Happy Birthday Greg! 30 years old - and Vada is next! Doesn't seem like you could be THAT old! Ha!

Bill said...

These stories are the sole property of "Peggie & Bill--Adventures!" Any retelling, reprinting, recounting, rereading, revealing, or otherwise sharing is totally encouraged. Anyone who writes a comment has permission to use this material for fun or profit. In the tradition of Liarsville, it is permissible to make the tales sound like your own. Especially the one about falling off the horse.

Caseygirl said...

Thanks for the permission dad! but I must not be telling the story right because no one in my office is believing me when I say I took a drive and saw 7 bears...something must be lost in the translation...bummer