Thursday, June 4, 2009

I quit....

Today I decided to quit my job. Some people showed up late for the run, then the credit card machine didn't work and I had a bus full of people ready to roll and we ended up getting out of town 30 minutes late for a run that has saddled horses waiting for some, and lunch for the rest. It is a 65 mile drive and if you drive like a maniac you can make up 5 minutes at most.
I can handle all that.
I entertained the waiting busload with all the info we usually give on the in-town tour. This is known as a song and dance. I knew that Dave would inform the people at the other end of our delayed departure and arrival.
No, the coup de gras (is that French for last straw?) was.......no bears!
What is the point of driving 65 miles thru bear country if you get there during afternoon naptime?
So I decided that no bears meant no driving.
Then I realized that the mountains are spectacular in their own right. The lakes are awesome, especially when they are reflecting the mountains like a mirror. The wild flowers are starting a pretty good display. And I enjoy the passengers.
Okay, I reconsidered before turning in my resignation, deciding that as long as the mountains are there, and the lakes hold water, and the plants are colorful, and the people are, well, people,
I could stick it out a little bit longer. But, come on! No bears??? Preposterous!

5 comments:

Margie said...

We could bearly stand to read this post. We just couldn't bear it if you decided to hibernate for the rest of the summer. Buck up and bear with it, and we know you will get your just reward. Enjoy the guys and dalls, cook something with cinnamon over a little blaze, put some mabel sugar over all, and GET BACK TO WORK!!

Peggie said...

I agree...he must just grin and bear it. When the four of us compare jobs there is no contest...Bill has the greatest, easiest, best paying, most fun job of all. In fact, after I listen to him tell about standing on the street shooting the breeze for an hour with a retired air force guy I've decided I shouldn't have to lift a finger outside of my job for the rest of my life. I think Karin would concur. Hmmmm...except for washing dishes last night I guess I haven't done much outside of my job the past few days. It's good to have Karin here echoing my sentiments on my poor aching feet, back, arms, neck....
Bill is having a GREAT time and I share his tips with him.

Bill said...

Gee, Margie, where did you learn to pun like that? I didn't mention that even the resident dall sheep hid from us. We did see one mountain goat at Breakdown Point. One of the passengers said the lack of animals was her fault. She claimed to be cursed that way. I think it was all the newly leafed-out willows that hid the bears from sight.
I am trying to bear up under the strain (up under? who writes this stuff?). Today we have no pre-booked tours, so the day may be wasted hanging around the office. I hope somebody wanders in and buys a ride.

Peggie said...

"The day may be wasted hanging around the office?" And he gets paid for that!!!! What a vacation. Meanwhile, I'll be running the store by myself--8:00--6:30 and then closing all with no lunch break. I'm thinking this "I shouldn't have to lift a finger outside of the job" is sounding more practical each day. Hmmm...maybe I won't share his tips with him today. Oh yea, if he hangs around the office the only tips he'll get will be verbal ones.
What a vacation--too much fun!
We have the day off TOGETHER tomorrow. We may take the fast-ferry to Haines.

Peggy Steffens said...

I love reading about your adventures - you are both excellent story tellers. Your pictures are fabulous. I love reading about how you have named the bears. Now you just need to pay them to hang out when you have tours. Saw a picture of Peggie when Chris and Ingrid visited. I love living vicariously through your adventures.