Thursday, June 25, 2009

We're BA-ack...on the internet.

We've been offline for three days. Did you miss us?
Peggie called AP&T on Monday to switch our modem for wifi so Karin could get online without having to get a phone line. Don had checked earlier to see what needed to be done. So...TWTWS...they told Peggie the new modem would be available Wed. Then they called Monday to say it was done, I just needed to come pick it up. Well, I couldn't get in Monday and that night we couldn't access the internet. Tuesday, I picked up the new modem, which Peggie installed that night, but we still couldn't access the internet. I went back Wed morning, and sure enough, SOMEONE had missed the last step in the change over...flipping our phone line back on! So last night we were finally back on, but there is still a problem with Karin's. We will see.
Maybe Alfred Hitchcock visited Skagway. Yesterday, I was taking some folks out to the pier and we saw a couple walking on the road. The man was swinging his coat over his head in an obvious attempt to fend off some birds that were circling overhead. In the foray, both people lost their hats. I thought they were just being paranoid about the birds. But after dropping off my passengers, I picked up their hats and when I did so, one of the birds swooped at me and squealed at me. I returned the hats to the couple, who had taken shelter in the helicopter office. He said one of the birds had slammed his shoulder when they first attacked. When I got home, I looked in my Alaska bird book and I think they were Arctic terns. But I will have to see them again to be sure. It was a bizarre sight and funny, until I spoke to them and realized how frightening it must have been for them.
Up to now my only fear has been bear attacks. People get out of their cars to see a bear that is two leaps from knocking their heads off. Anybody who drives up here should have done some minimal research on the wildlife!
For instance, I have researched black bears, but nothing said if they get mange. We saw one the other day that was going bald on the whole right side. He looked really unhealthy.
Don is heading for Whitehorse today with his truck loaded with tires and wheels. He finally got the OK to get a bunch of tires mounted and balanced. He doesn't know how either customs will react to his load. We joked that the Canadians will turn him back and the U.S. will, too, and he will roam forever in no-man's land.

3 comments:

Vada said...

Clinical mange of the black bear, Ursus americanus, associated with Ursicoptes americanus (Acari: Audycoptidae)
CE Yunker, CE Binninger, JE Keirans, J Beecham, and M Schlegel
ABSTRACT
Numerous specimens of a mite, Ursicoptes americanus Fain and Johnston, 1970 (Acari: Audycoptidae), were found in skin scrapings from an aged female black bear, Ursus americanus, afflicted with a severe generalized mange. The mite had not been found previously in association with clinical dermatitis. The male, nymph and larva of Ursicoptes americanus, heretofore unknown, are described and the generic diagnosis is amplified. Discovery of the male aids in resolving the questionable taxonomic status of the family Audycoptidae.
I think that this means-
Yes. Black bears do get mange.

Margie said...

Yes, we missed you - thought maybe you had been caught in an avalanche because of the earthquake.
How did my daughter ever get so smart(aleck)?
Welcome back to the world according to Blog!

Bill said...

Technology is an amazing thing. It can fail you one minute and save you the next. Thank you, Vada. If I could only speak Latin I could sound really smart.
I don't know which earthquake was reported nationwide. Apparently, there have been several, but none severe enough to rattle things here. Fabric doesn't rattle too much, and buses rattle all the time, so we probably wouldn't notice any but the worst quake.
Don had no trouble because of the tires. However, one of the people who went with him(they also took a jeep)lost her passport somewhere. They were able to call customs from Carcross and got the okay to come on back in.