...and it is NOT forty below, Johnny Horton.
Over the last three days the cottonwoods, birches, aspens, and whatever else grows here have leafed out. The snow is starting to melt quickly with new waterfalls all along the highway.
We both had the day off since there was no ship today. It is the last "no ship day" until Sep 4th.
We finally hiked to Lower Dewey Lake. It is the easiest of the thirteen Skagway hiking trails. With warm temperatures and sunshine and no ship, we were not the only ones on the trail. Afterward we ran into someone who told us there was a humpback in the harbor. We planned to go up to Yukon but we detoured to the harbor. We saw the spouts confirming the whale's presence, but it was across the harbor more than a mile away. Then we went over the summit. We saw the resident sheep on Sheep Mountain, and some other sheep and goats along the way. No bears or other large mammals.
By the way, you can get a look at what we look at without waiting for us to post photos. There is a sight called Skagway Alaska Webcams. There are two cameras down at the south end of town. They both show similar shots. One is in Fraser, BC. Fraser is the customs station 20 miles away. One is in Carcross, YT. It is 65 miles north of here. One is in Whitehorse, capital of YT and 110 miles north of here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I had to get all the way down to the bottom of the Johnny Horton page on wikipedia before I got the reference. Then I had to head over to grooveshark.com to hear the cut.
That is quite a site: wpyr.com. Go down to the dock so I can see you.
Thanks for the links. I hadn't heard the song before.
And thanks for the demo of adding links. I suggested to Bill that he add them. A little peer pressure is good!
And, we just got back from the dock. We'll have to coordinate better so we can wave next time.
Post a Comment