Thursday, September 8, 2011

How can this be!?

It's like "all done but the hem"! And the hem must be hand stitched.
We leave on the 26th. That's 18 days, but I only have 10 more days of tours. The reality sets in. Now there is WORK to be done to get ready to go. We have to pack to ship some stuff. We have to pack what we will take with us. There is no space in our tiny apartment to blue tape off a Jeep-sized area. Auugh! What will fit? Somebody aquired a 200 lb. ROCK. Where does it go? Somebody else acquired a five foot wooden box. Will it even fit? We will abandon the small, inexpensive propane grill. We will abandon our lovable, comfortable, but old and breaking-down folding lawn chairs. The folding drying rack? Give it up. It is bulky and easily replaced. But we have these lovely glass balls that we created ourselves. We have some commemorative cups. Too fragile to mail? Aside from mounting it on the roof or hood like a redneck Texan, where do you put a caribou antler? We have a freezer half full of frozen fish to eat. We have bottles of wine and booze we have to drink. Itch a durrdee jhob, buut shumbuddy haz to doo it :}
I took today off to get the car serviced in Whitehorse. It was a beautiful day for the drive. Fall colors are nearly at peak. On the way home I took a detour by staying on the Alaska Hiway to Jake's Corner, then to Carcross via the Tagish cutoff. It added some variation to the drive. The Tagish cutoff is the longest unstraightened portion of the Alcan that is still in daily use. And I got to cross the Yukon River again on the old steel girder bridge. Haven't been on that one since '95. The only animals I saw were some mountain goats. I am now tied with last year's 103 for black bear sightings. I will beat that in the coming days.
Oh, I almost forgot the big news: it is finally raining! We had a nearly 12 hour drought while the sun brutally teased us around some fast moving clouds. The boardwalks were barely damp and many of the puddles were almost dry. I had to turn off the windshield wipers for most of the drive. I only hope they haven't dried out.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Peggie: Shouldn't he have said, "everything's done but the binding, and the binding has to be hand stitched."?

I will definitely pick you up for a whirlwind tour of Sitka on the 27th...glad to see it is 2-4 PM and not AM.

Hugs from here...jane