Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What is this?



We are not sure what we saw. I think it is a lynx kitten (cub), but the ear tufts seem to be missing. It was dark. (Yes, it gets dark here now.) We spotted it by the shine in its eyes from the headlights. It sat in the grass the whole time. It didn't seem alarmed by our presence and gave itself a bit of a bath, like a cat does. We are having a hard time matching the photo to photos of other likely animals. So everybody please have a go at it, and tell us what you think.




Aside from that, we were running quickly up to Montana Mountain after work to pick up the fabric that Lynn was rusting on the old equipment Peggie used earlier this summer. On the way up we saw three moose by the road. They went into the woods when we stopped, but they were back out by the road eating when we came back. According to Bill's Official Rules of Wildlife Sighting we saw six moose, because a) we were going in the opposite direction, and b)more than an hour had passed.



The day before, Sunday, we had gone to place the fabric, and took a side trip (gasp!) up Jubilee Mountain where we got the best view of a small porcupine and a good sighting of a bear eating roadkill.

3 comments:

Bill said...

The verdict is in to my satisfaction. I have consulted with many people who should know, including park rangers. I have looked at dozens of online photos. This is a lynx cub. The black ear tufts are invisible due to the poor light conditions. I bet mama lynx was very nearby.

Jane said...

I was thinking lynx too...you can see a bit of a tuft in the second picture. Great sighting. And I love the look of the rust dyed fabric too.

See you next week! Is it Wednesday that you get to Sitka?

jane

Caseygirl said...

Lynn's fabric looks like an animal hide. Very cool! It is like the animals know you are leaving so they are finally coming out