Monday, December 17, 2012

A break in the routine.

Ah yes!
Remember the good old days? Alarm clocks beeping in the dark early morning. Rolling out of bed into the chilled air. Stepping out of a warm shower to get goose bumps before you could dry off. Getting into a cold car after scraping frost from the windshield. Remember the good old days?
Nah!
Those days meant working for a living.
These are the good new days. Sleeping until you wake up because you are fully rested. Sitting up carefully in a room already warmed from the sun. Showering later, after coffee. Leave the car in the driveway until rush hour is over, if you have to drive at all today. These are the good new days.
Except today.
Today we are getting our roof replaced. Like all construction crews, they start at 5:00 a.m. Even in the winter. When it is dark and cold at 5:00 a. m. Jane, and other northern readers, remember it is all relative. This is our winter. It was 40 degrees at 5:00. So I get to whine a little.
For the last two hours they have been scraping, LOUDLY, to get the old roofing shingles and tar paper off.
It sounds like destruction. Which it is. Six men STOMPING around on the roof. The loosened shingles CRASHING to the ground on all sides. Surely, at least one of them (the guys, not the shingles) will come crashing through the roof at any minute. If they don't fall over the side first.
And in another hour or so, the new shingles will go on. You know how they do that, right? Hammers and nails. For hours. Hammer, hammer, hammer. Hammer, hammer, hammer.
I think I need to go see a movie today.
Yeah, that's the ticket.

5 comments:

Jane said...

You should have just thought "Sant's reindeers" when they first started. As for the hammering, I agree, a movie...or maybe even two...is in order.

hugs from here...jane

Jane said...

Whoops...that should be SANTA's reindeers...

Margie said...

So what did you go to see? We know we have to see Lincoln before it's gone from the theaters.
It'll be nice to have the new roof, but not so nice getting it, huh?

Bill said...

As long as I'm whining a little...
We only have one vehicle. Peggie got to escape first to the dentist, then to the optometrist, so I got to stay home. I kept answering the phone, but the ringing was just in my ears.
As to having a new roof: good for peace of mind, but not the kind of money spending that is fun to enjoy. Like getting socks for Christmas.
We did not get to a movie. I want to see Lincoln and The Hobbit.

Peggie said...

And I ASKED for socks for Christmas!
It was a noisy process--not the consistent hammering but the really loud drops (of materials?) that sounded like guys falling and sliding off the roof.
One of our neighbors complained that they started work at 5:30. Hmm...our neighbor is a fire fighter/paramedic. I wonder if he gets complaints about loud sirens and flashing lights. Give me a break!