Sunday, June 23, 2013

But did Peggie go with me? Noooooo!

So today was Peggie's day off. She had the same dilemma I had the day before. But she chose to do all those chores that I blew off. So the Peggie & Bill show was cancelled. (she gave me a haircut yesterday) And I really appreciate that she chose to do the chores.
But she missed out. I saw five bears today. I don't believe, based on location, that I had seen any of them before. So, again, I am hopeful that they are just awakening later than normal and will soon be more plentiful. The cub we saw today was also tiny, supporting the late awakening theory.
But, alas, I finally got my camera out and ready, so naturally we saw no more bears. I would never reveal my complicity to my customers, they might want their tips back. What I want is for the counts to even out. Thirteen bears in three out of four days is not as good when you've gone eight days with none. I am putting in my request to have the bears even out, and throw in the occasional moose or caribou. A wolf, or lynx would be good.
On a sad, serious note:  I go to Caribou Crossing every day (almost) and pass the billboard advertising Moon Lake Outfitters (a hunting guide concession). The first was built and run by Chuck and Marilyn Buchanan until they sold it and retired last year.  The latter was owned by their son, Shane, and his wife. Ten days ago Shane and Chuck died in a fiery plane crash. Shane was the pilot. So everyday (almost) I take people through the museum that holds Chuck's life's work. Everyday (almost) I drive through Shane's concession land. Everyday I think about Marilyn's loss. I never met Shane's wife, so I am more removed from her grief, but they have two small children. Eventually I will get over it, but for now I grieve.

3 comments:

Peggie said...

Yes, I did the laundry Saturday night and the rest of the chores Sunday. I've been feeling bad for more than a week so I'm very ready for that part to be finished. The Bill and Peggie show was fun and since my bus chose to not start just as six guests walked up to it, we also turned it into bringing my personal mechanic along for the ride. A lot of comic relief on Saturday! Also, there are a few he-tips, she-tips but mostly our(my) tips. One of my chores is to manage the finances after all.

Anonymous said...

karin says: I think the run would have been more fun than the chores but unfortunately they must be done.

Jane said...

Chores, tips, bears, beautiful country...what a life! Sorry to hear about Chuch and Shane, though...my heart grieves with yours. Hugs from Sitka...