Monday, July 22, 2013

Busman's Holiday

Yesterday there was only one tour so we decided to let Bryan take it and we would take the day off. Then we decided to ride along so we could see it as our passengers see it. Also, another employee who just got her passport was going. We would make a party of it. It was fun, but no bears. And it rained the entire time.
We did see Dall sheep for the first time since early May.
When we came back, we all went out for Burger Madness (burgers & fries for $10. 95 instead of $15.95).
Then Mary, Joseph and I went to Dyea to look for bears. Peggie and Bryan can't stay up past 8:30 so they stayed home. And we saw Bruiser. He is the extra large bear I think of as my Sunday morning bear. Last time we were up here I often went out on Sunday morning and there he would be at the mouth of the creek. And that is exactly where he was last night. He is the second largest grizzly I have seen, but I have seen him often, whereas the larger one, I saw only once. One thing about Bruiser is that you cannot get closer than a quarter mile most of the time. He rarely moves to a closer position. I can't (won't) drive closer because I don't want to take a chance of getting stuck on the tidal flats.
So now I will be willing to lose an hour's sleep more often since the bears are back in Dyea. And since we live at the same place where we wash our buses, it is easy to immediately was the Dyea mud off the truck when I get home.

No comments: