Sunday's attempt at Panacea was only partially successful. We had a wonderful time and saw some great scenery. But, we did not make it to the top. Back in '09 Don tried to take us up there in an ATA jeep and we spun out on a wet, loose rock section. Sunday, we spun out in the exact spot in the truck. Believe it or not, there is a very recognizable rock in the road, so I know the spot. I want to try again later when the road will be dry. This is a time when I miss the locker on the jeep.
We examined the core sample stack and saw that the boxes are stamped with dates in '02 and '03. And our memories tell us that they have been rearranged and possibly some stacks have been removed. ???
Today both of us took tours up to Caribou Crossing. It was the calmest (no wind) day I have yet seen. Peggie has posted some pictures on facebook of Summit Lake. This is the only time I saw Summit Lake, Tutshi Lake, and Windy Arm all mirror-like. And they stayed that way all day. Normally the wind will come up by afternoon. Not today. Silly me, I told myself I didn't need pictures, so took none.
Monday, I saw a moose standing on the edge of Emerald Lake. Previously, I have seen bears from the overlook, and the wrangler where we used to take riders near there told me they had trouble with moose spooking the horses, but I hadn't seen moose in that area before. We drove around to that side, but the noise must have spooked her because we only saw tracks in the mud when we got there.
Yesterday's after-work rumor was that the train killed a sow who tried to cross the track to her cubs at the last second. Every one responded, "Oh, now the cubs will die, too." We don't know where this supposedly happened, or if it was one of the bears we have all seen or not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment