Tuesday, July 16, 2013

First of the second.

Half, that is. Today is the first day of the second half of the season. Yesterday was Moratorium Day. Unfortunately, Moratorium Day is not "officially" sanctioned. Too bad. Because on Moratorium Day there is a moratorium on law enforcement, rule following, and just being reasonable. That means you can (should be able to) run down tourists who walk blindly into your path, answer dumb questions (or even good questions) with comic answers, provide false facts about the gold rush (like the whole thing was started as a story in a silent movie).
So yesterday I (imagined I) ran over three tourists who walked right out in front of me as I was leaving a stop sign. I was already moving, and they stepped right in front of me. That is just the sort of thing that makes you want a moratorium. I explained the large boulders at the quarry by calling it the prison yard where the absence of small stones proved Skagway's low crime rate. And of course I told the morning tour that the water pipe at Pitchfork Falls was keeping the falls flowing.
I had a good time with it, eventho it is not "real."

No comments: