Thursday, August 29, 2013

Another day on the road.

Peggie took her bus to Whitehorse today for some alignment and tire work.
I had another day on the road.
We stopped to take photos at the Yukon border sign. We had our photos (only six people) and were leaving when somebody asked what those birds were across the road. They were ptarmigan. Six or seven coming out of the shrubs and pecking at some squashed road kill. Then they all rushed into the shrubs again. So we turned to go again. But as we did, I spotted a bald eagle about 200 feet above us, soaring in our direction. So I pointed it out. (One of the ladies wanted nothing from the day, but to see a bald eagle.)
You know how birds soar. Wings spread wide, tail twisting slightly to adjust yaw. She (he?) slowed to a stop above the highway, nearly overhead, then slowly turned counterclockwise as we all turned to follow her progress. She turned 180, came back over, blinding us as she passed the sun, then completed the circle and landed on a rock face across the road. Briefly. She spread her wings and dropped off the rock, soaring again counterclockwise right over our heads, now maybe 30 feet above us. She slowed to a stop across the road where the ptarmigan hid, pinned her wings back, dropped toward the shrubs, extended talons, spread wings. We (at least I,) held our breath. She was going to grab a ptarmigan! Nope. She flapped her wings and lifted up and away. Another counterclockwise spin, even lower over our heads. Hover, pin wings, drop, extend talons, abort the raid three feet off the ground. (Now look out your front window, imagine this is happening across your street.) Again. This time over our heads so low we all remarked that we could feel the wind from her wings. Really, we all swore we could. This time, she finished the swoop, grabbed the road kill that the ptarmigans had been after and took it first to a tree, then immediately up to the rocks.
Wow. What a treat. I got the idea she was showing off for us. Look what I can do. And you can't.
I briefly considered grabbing my camera, in case she caught a ptarmigan, but I didn't want to miss anything while I did it. So I didn't.
Another day on the road.

1 comment:

Margie said...

Good description, as always! Nice day on the road is the understatement of the day!