Sunday, August 18, 2013

So, how was my birthday?

I got "Happy Birthday" greetings from my passengers as they got on the bus. I thought it was because Peggie had picked them up at another dock and told them when she brought them over to my dock. But then it became obvious that that wasn't it. Then I discovered that she had taped a "Happy Birthday,  Bill" sign in my bus where they would all see it. So that was cool.
Then I got to Caribou Crossing and got "Happy Birthdays" from people there. Then, I was eating lunch when from behind me I heard "Happy Birthday to you......" and I turned to see half the crew singing and bringing a piece of cake with a candle on it. Peggie had gotten there before me. Then, I got hugs from all the pretty girls. So that was cool.
When I returned to the shop after tour, there was an envelope for me. A gift certificate at my favorite coffee shop from the rest of our crew. So that was cool.
We had previously decided to have king crab for dinner for my birthday. It is expensive, but you only turn 65 once. It isn't like 39. We started with Dennis' famous marguaritas. Then Casey called to tell me she had sent me an Amazon gift card and suggested some music we might like. So that was cool.
We had finished dinner and were on our second round of marguaritas when our boss and his wife came in for dinner. They bought the next round for us, while they had their dinner, then invited us over to enjoy a bonfire and more marguaritas. Well, after two marguaritas, nothing sounds as good as a third. So, sure. When we tried to settle our substantial tab, we were informed that it had been taken care of. Nice gift. So that was cool.
At 1:30 we decided it was time to go home. Luckily it is only a three block walk. Next day we got to sleep until 11:00. So that was cool.
Then Greg and Julian skyped with us for a while. Julian didn't say much. But, still, that was cool.
(Just fyi, Tomoko and Ariana were sleeping off some jet lag having just returned from Japan.)
So I had a good birthday.
Good thing, too, 'cause I'm nearly old.

2 comments:

Margie said...

Sounds like a cool birthday. Which is fitting 'cause you're a pretty cool guy, for being nearly old.
We had dinner with Don and Karin Friday, and Dave had the surf n turf meal, which included Alaskan King Crab. I'm sure it was in honor of your birthday dinner choice, which you had announced on this page.
We all (Taylors, Thomases, Gooslins, and Beaches) had dinner at Golden Dragon for Kelly's birthday last night. Dave had several kinds of shrimp from their buffet, probably in honor of her special day. Nah, it's just because he really likes shrimp (and crab)!

Bill said...

I appreciate Dave for being so thoughtful and considerate of others.