Friday, June 25, 2010

Harvest Time!

One of the things I love about being in Skagway is having a wonderful container garden that supplies fresh food. Last year I planted lettuce, zucchini and basil and was most successful with the lettuce. This year I have broccoli, swiss chard, yellow squash, zucchini, basil, mint, tomatoes, lettuce and petunias. The garden is right outside our front window and gets lots of attention from people passing on the boardwalk. Sometimes we get a knock on the door so we can answer questions. Friends check it out and comment on how well it's doing.



I've been picking mint and swiss chard. The swiss chard has been great in stir fry or in salad.

Tonight was a real harvest! I picked broccoli, lettuce and mint!!! A neighbor and his kids noticed immediately that I had picked some broccoli. Such attention. No wonder it's growing so well.



Time for dinner!



PS: It was all delicious. Mint is a nice addition to a salad and the broccoli was so fresh it had a slightly sweet taste.

No comments: