Thursday, June 10, 2010

Why we're here

Nothing doesn't happen everyday.
We don't have to keep track of everyday, so sometimes something happened "the other day." No telling when "the other day" was.
The other day we were in the apartment reading and computing when a group of women stopped to look at our garden. They conversed in an unknown language (I'm sure it was known to them, they were speaking it) calling each other over, pointing at plants, talking in questioning tone, leaving and coming back. Finally, they knocked on the door. Their English was limited, but we determined they were Korean, and they were curious. Peggie showed them what each plant was and they were very happy. Nobody ever knocks on our door in Tucson to discuss our garden. And if they did, they wouldn't be from Korea.
The other day, Derrick, (he is our new part-time driver) came in with a tale his roommate had heard about another driver who had pictures of a bear taking a mountain goat kid and eating it. So he got the story third hand, so I now had it fourth hand. How much was true? No telling. Who had the pictures? Not sure. But I wanted to see the pictures. Today I got to see them.
There is a guy, Dan, who sells tours across the street from us. Whenever I go wandering, I stop to chat unless he is selling to someone. Today I was on my way to get a diet coke. When I get close he says, "There's no way I could sit on a bus for three hours." I say, "Well, maybe if you were the driver." He says, "That was a response I just got from a prospect." Then he says, "Have you seen the bear pictures?" I did not have to ask what bear pictures he meant. The rumors about those pictures have been the hot topic between drivers. So the sequence is like this: nanny and kid, obvious telephoto lens; goats on right edge of picture, bear entering stage right over a rock; nanny leaping away from bear; bear grabbing kid; bear carrying kid back stage right; bear eating kid. So cool!! I want to see that in person!!
The other day I had to do the Skagway tour, Dave took a group to go horseback riding. There are a group of dogs that go on all the horseback rides. On this particular day, the dogs treed a bear. The riders all got to see the whole thing. That makes the ride something they will always remember. Just like watching a bear fall from the tree it broke will be for me.
Today (not "the other day") I watched a mountain goat kicking at the dirt until he had created a place to lie down and roll in the dust. Do you suppose he was being bothered by mosquitoes? Or just wanted to get down and dirty?
Who cares?
I never saw that before. Didn't think I ever would.
Today I had lunch with a Dutch couple on my tour who are now Canadian. They are retired and are on a disaster relief team. As needed, they respond to places like New Orleans or Haiti and help get people back on track. They learn how to do carpentry, or dry wall, or distribute clothes, or what ever is needed. They have been all over the world working in communites that have been devastated, volunteering to help as needed.
What a privilege.
And that is why we are here.

1 comment:

Margie said...

So what are the chances of getting copies of the photos? Scanning them or having them sent electronically to you. You know, so you could share with the rest of us? And maybe they should be posted in every window so tourists understand that bears do not just eat dandilions and spring leaves. They also like meat.

Some friends who have gone to Alaska several summers were jealous when I told them what you were doing for the second year. They just got a fifth wheel and will be going on the road with their beautiful handmade jewelry and artwork, but not to Alaska this year.