Monday, October 10, 2011

We have air conditioning and we have gas (not that kind)

We had a great visit with family in Cottonwood and stopped by to see friends in Lake Montezuma on the way home. It was a great visit too and we pulled up to our house around 7:00 p.m. We pulled out our overnight bags and toured the house. Everything looks okay. We plugged in the refrigerator and plugged in lights, etc. Of course I turned on the air conditioner and then turned it off as the house was getting warmer. No big surprise there and I have a window air conditioner in the bedroom so I knew it would be comfortable to sleep. Have we mentioned we LOVE OUR BED!!!! Not so crazy about the air conditioner and its ongoing problems.

This morning Bill went to McDonald's and brought breakfast home while I called the air conditioning people. The guy arrived about 30 minutes later and started working on the system. While he was here the gas guy came out and we soon had hot water and gas to the stove. Window shades came up, blinds opened, and plywood came out of the windows in the back part of the house. The neighbor lady arrived to tell us about the water leak outside (explains our sky-high water bills). Waste Management will bring us a new trash can tomorrow and start collection on Thursday. Comcast (Xfinity now?) said we would have phone, cable, internet tomorrow. When the phone rang a few hours later (yes, a solicitation call) I decided to see if I had internet--YES! A few dead bugs and smears on the counter had us put in a call for the bug man. A call to Farmers Insurance will get the truck's insurance upgraded so we can go pick it up from storage. We had dropped all but comprehensive since it was in storage for six months.

After the service people were gone and a few things were unpacked it was time to go out for Mexican food at our favorite restaurant, stop by the grocery store (light shopping), go to the post office (closed due to Columbus Day--who knew--we're retired!) go to the bank which was open (so I can pay the neighbor lady who watched the house)and then come home and do some more unpacking. No photos of unpacking because we're pretty much finished and didn't think to take photos. We unloaded (ahem...that was Bill) the jeep slowly and put things away (that was both os us) before we brought in more. Part of unpacking is finding the things we put away into cupboards (coffee pot, dish drainer and all the normal clutter of everyday living). Things that go into the studio are in the studio but not unpacked--that's fun, not work so I'll do that in the days ahead. I did take pictures of the studio before I started bringing things in because it will probably never ever ever be that clean, empty, sterile, and put away again.

We're both excited not to come home and deal with getting estimates for floor, ceilings, painting, etc. and all the sorting, cleaning and packing that went with the remodeling last year. I did find myself saying things like "I need to clean out my closet this winter or "we" need to .....this winter." and we both laughed because we're retired and if it doesn't get done this winter there is always next summer or the following winter or....

In the meantime, I have quilt guild tomorrow night with Aimee and Becky and Bill plans to get his hair cut.

And, in case you're wondering, the great big very large geode is sitting in the back of the jeep and it doesn't seem to be weighing it down at all....

3 comments:

Bill said...

We just don't know yet where the amethyst is going to reside. So, no sense in moving it more than once. It is HEAVY.
Peggie forgot to mention the FANTASTIC weather we had all the way home. We didn't even mind the brief, blinding snow storm between Moab and Bluff, Utah. Luckily the ground was too warm for the snow to make a mess of the roadway. Monument Valley and the reservation were beautiful.
We went thru so much construction in Oregon, Idaho, and Utah, it was actually comforting to see that Arizona also received some money for road improvement. Many projects are underway which are long overdue.

Jane said...

Welcome Home! Glad to hear all is well. Are you planning to split the geode? I picked up a little one at a garage sale here in Sitka...we whacked it with a hammer, and it was disappointing...only a small bit of quartz inside.

Was the favorite Mexican restaurant the one that is a FEW miles out of town? YUM!

love and hugs to you both...

Caseygirl said...

Didn't you have the neighbor lady watch the house so things like a water leak wouldn't happen long enough to run up your water bill?

Sounds like you should have stayed on the road a little longer to avoid the adventures