Thursday, December 20, 2012

Alas, Babylon

This will be my last post...
Unless all those nutballs are wrong, and the world doesn't come to an end tomorrow.
In that case, I will probably continue.
So the roof did its job Wednesday, none of the rain got into the house. But this blog is about adventures.
At the end of the day, Monday, as we stood reviewing the new roof as the last clean-up was being accomplished, we noticed a hole in an upstairs window. We could only surmise that a dove had flown into it. That happens a lot. Though no holes have been created before. Since tall ladders were still available, we coerced one of the workers to apply packaging tape to the glass. And begins the next adventure. We use the word "adventure" in this instance to mean another non-pleasurable use of money. Window companies are actually in the window replacement business, as opposed to the window glass replacement business. So we must get several estimates because the first one came in at four digits. To the left of the decimal. For a window.
We were entertained for 90 minutes last night by one guy. We get another hour or so tomorrow from a competitor. I never really wanted to know this much about windows. In my neanderthal view I thought it was just a piece of (broken) glass that could be replaced. That's what they do with windshields. They don't have to replace the entire front of the car.
I could do the job myself. (Who is that laughing? I can hear laughing!)
Even if I could buy a sheet of glass cut-to-fit within a millimeter (that's 1/25 of an inch) of tolerance, I would have to carry it up to the second story window using an extension ladder and get it in place, and secured, without dropping it. I would definitely drop it. Then I would have to make a second trip to the store. The next time up the ladder, just before I finish getting the rubber gasket in tight, it would break. Then I would have to make a third trip to the store, where they wouldn't have the right rubber gasket, so I would have to visit three other stores, the last one on the far side of town.
So, no. As handy as I am, and as much as I enjoy being twenty feet above a slab of concrete on a rickety ladder juggling a sheet of glass, no. This is not a job for me.
So the adventure continues tomorrow. Maybe we can actually find somebody who can just replace a piece of glass without reinventing the concept of "window."
Or the nutballs will turn out to be the smart ones and I won't need to worry about windows.

5 comments:

Peggie said...

I wonder if he would have even more adventures while he was trying to repair the window. He forgot to mention that there is a small air conditioner installed at the base of that double-hung window. I can only imagine the additional adventures!!

Margie said...

I'm just glad that what might happen if Bill chose to replace the window himself is only conjecture, and that he is smart enough to know better. Ah, that's the "wisdom that comes with age", right?

Margie said...

Dave said...
Sounds to me like you outta git some smarter doves. You know, ones that know about glass and that kinda stuff.

Jane said...

Once again, I am thoroughly entertained by your writing...and I am laughing out loud as I read this. I can think of a fourth "adventure" with the adventure, but that might include some broken bones, so I won't mention it.

MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! AND TO ALL, A GOOD NIGHT.

LOVE AND HUGS FROM SITKA...JANE

Bill said...

The two pros who have bid on the job so far both assure us that due to double-pane construction, we won't need the reflective film that confuses the birds into thinking they see open sky.
I have had zero responses to my request for more intelligent doves. In fact, I am sure that is an oxymoron.