This is the first time this season we had two days off consecutively, together. So I was wondering: Is there such a thing as two in a row? Seems like it would take at least three to form a row. If you put two pennies on the table, is it a row? Do two stars form a row? Yeah, I know we talk about two in a row all the time. Doesn't mean it makes sense.
We did laundry and other chores, then headed to Montana Mountain. We got a late start, so picked up lunch in Carcross and had a Thomas picnic at the beaver pond we call the moose pond about four miles up.
Then we did some butt-busting for three hours and turned around at the 12.5 mile point because it was 5 pm. Peggie took the wheel and drove us back down. I was on the downhill side, so I spent the time wishing for a narrower wheel base and a wider road. The only wildlife we saw was a mountain goat that ran down the road ahead of us. We remarked on the lack of snow on the mountain. Last time there were large snow patches and it was later in the summer than now. We didn't even need jackets. Coming down is always faster because we don't stop to look at things as often. We made it all the way home in only three and a half hours.
I don't remember if I have talked about the road construction. Yukon did some paving and chip sealing in the first five miles of road over the border. The first mile is good asphalt. Then the rest is chip seal. At first, they did a regrind on the old asphalt and laid that down. For two weeks in June we had to use oil remover and hand scrub the buses to get the oil/dirt mixture off. Then they laid down oil and gravel and we had major dust and loose surface for a month. One car slid off the road on a gravelly curve and took a few rolls. Nobody hurt. Finally, they swept the gravel and now the lines have been repainted. The road is finally in good shape.
Julian is six months old today. Way to grow, Julian!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Julian is 6 months old and in Japan for 3 weeks. I'm home alone in what now certainly seems like a big house. I hear he likes to roll over and sleep on his belly. He is also getting clingy and only wants Mom. He must be missing his Daddy. Ariana on the other hand is being spoiled by uncles, going to the aquarium and taking swim lessons with "the athlete", so she's fine.
As for being on the downhill side, weren't you on the downhill side going up too? Seeing as you switched directions and switched placed in the truck. You must have been too busy on the way up to notice.
The difference is having the wheel in your hands.
Post a Comment