Sunday, August 10, 2014

happy birthday, Patty

Today is my cousin Patty's birthday. She is 6 days older than me. We were both born in the same hospital room. She and her mother, Aunt Jean, left the room as my mother came in. Hard to believe women used to stay in hospital for a week.
I hope she is well, where ever she is.

Check out the forecast this week. Rain, rain, rain, and then more rain. It has been drizzling all night. Not cold, though.

Peggie caught a sight last night. A seal was floating in the harbor and it pooped. When the seal noticed her, it seemed embarrassed to have been seen. Anthropormorphic, sure. But not many people have seen that, so who knows?

This year's salmon run in Skagway and Dyea is pathetic. I imagine the grizzly bears will suffer accordingly. The general consensus around here is that it will be a cold and long winter. If the bears don't fatten up, they'll die. That is nature's way. I can recognize at least nine bears in Dyea. More than usual. Maybe some have to die.

3 comments:

Margie said...

Patty is on Facebook. I will message her the address for your blog, and I hope she will look at it and be happy that you thought of her today. Then she can check your blog every once in a while and feel connected again. That's what reading it does for us, and that's why Facebook is so cool for families that have scattered - you can stay in touch with more than one person at a time and with more ease and less time than the old round robin letters our mother used to share with her cousins.
Your mood is a little darker with the weather, but the observations are still keen and interesting. Keep them coming.
Glad you had such a great time with Casey there!

Bill said...

It was really great that Casey could come when Peggie wasn't working. They got to do so many of the available activities.
Darker mood with grey skies. ?.hmmm

Becky said...

Hello cousin! I have enjoyed reading about your adventures for some time. You probably didn't know that. Margie got me on to it a couple of years ago and I check in once in awhile, and should have commented. I've learned more about you since reading your blog and realized we haven't visited in person often enough. But, there are certain things I remember about you: how you looked as a teenager, all of your paperbacks near your bunk bed in the old house, me going to your wedding when I was 10, you coming to my wedding 10 years later, the way you say "neat! And, your distinct voice. By the way, my birthday is Sept 15. Just sayin. Love, Becky