Saturday, August 9, 2014

It is that time in the season

August.
Rainy season. No sun in the 10 day forecast. Flood advisory in effect. Must be time for some observations.
Disclaimer: being here, driving tours, meeting people, the scenery, are fantastic. But, there are some "unpleasant" aspects.
Not seeing wildlife for several days, crying or whining kids on a 6 hour tour, rude people, negative people, non-tippers. Someone vomits on the bus, mechanical breakdown, passengers who are turned back at customs. All that pales by comparison.
Last week we got a new winner in the category "Worst Experience for a Guide on a Tour."
Attempted suicide.
I know, this is bad for the attemptee. But my viewpoint is the driver. Things were already not good. A couple arguing loudly, disrupting the tour. In a foreign language. Somehow it is better when you can understand what the argument is about. But, anyway, the driver stops at the edge of a lake, and the woman announces her intention to die and begins swimming. The lake is big, deep, and very cold.
I heard this from the driver. I was shocked, and didn't think to ask questions. But now I wonder what I'd do. What is the best way to handle that?
In this instance, the husband dove in and brought her back.
Next time I'm cleaning up vomit, ....will I be thinking, "at least nobody tried to die?"

No comments: